Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Equipment i require for an Electronics workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

markelectro

Hello

I am looking for advice on equipment required for a good Electronics workshop.I am very interested in electromics and also programming of PIC'S.
For may first task I purchased a PIC. traing course this is quite an expensive course but does start at a level that I require,in other words a beginner level.

https://brunningsoftware.co.uk/

I want to create a workshop for myself so could somone please advise on the equipment that mey become usful to me.

Do I require an Oscilloscope for instance? I am thinking of purchasing one and Would like advice on this.

Please help.

Well, a personal workshop grows with your needs and finances. Kind of depends on what you do, space, and finances.

Some basic equipment would be soldering iron 25-35 watts is good for basic stuff. A cheap $5.00 iron will work for a while, but the tips don't last very long and you generally don't have much choice in tips or replacements. You get what you pay for.
A multimeter is very useful for a beginner, you'll need to find faults in your circuits.
Wire stripper/cutter, needle nose pliers, small screwdrivers, maybe a hammer if you are easily frustrated...
Desoldering tool, many choices... wicks, bulbs, spring-loaded (my choice).
These things will get you going to start with, might be all you really need. A bench power supply is handy as you get a predictiable output, where batteries or wallwarts are usually good enough most of the time.

There are other things, but you'll need to decide if you'll be using them enough to justify the purchase and bench space.

I would agree with Harvey,
And I would add that an analog power supply would be a good first project as it would give you a useful tool for your bench. I don't think you need a scope for the first while, instead, build yourself a logic probe and signal injector. Build up your bench over time, and purchase good quality tools over a long time.

Hand tools: while it may seem like a cheap pair of diagonals, or snipper will save you cash, they end up dull soon, and you will end up replacing them to end frustration. Same for screwdrivers, etc.

A very handy addition is a lighted magnifier.

Probably the tool I use most is my multimeter. (I have collected several over the years, but the one I use most is a small cheap one with an audio continuity tester.) I have a range of probe wires, clips etc. which are very useful.

hi,
In addition to the well listed hardware, its a good idea to start a database on your PC of the most commonly used devices, pin outs etc.

Regarding components, I would suggest you dont buy the 'ready mixed' bumper packs, half on the bits, you will never use.
You can buy, fairly inexpensive, storage drawers for your bits.

A earthing wrist band is important if you going to use semiconductor devices in your projects.

If you are going to be doing mostly PIC programming and other digital components then I would buy a PC Oscilloscope that has a 8 bit (or more) logic analyzer built in. That will be very useful. Just make sure you get something that can handle the bandwidth you need. But you probably do not need one right away. But definitely get yourself a Digital Muti-meter with a capacitance measure and a variable power supply.

EDIT: here is one o-scope to look at: https://www.bitscope.com/

Last edited:
I don't know; for the money it cost me, I'm not all that pleased with my bitscope 310u. It was more than 500 USD, and I think the old tek scope I got on ebay was a much better deal. The bitscope software sometimes gives me grief, and frustration.
Just 2 cents worth. :)

BeeBop said:
I don't know; for the money it cost me, I'm not all that pleased with my bitscope 310u. It was more than 500 USD, and I think the old tek scope I got on ebay was a much better deal. The bitscope software sometimes gives me grief, and frustration.
Just 2 cents worth. :)
I agree, I have one too, and these days all I ever use it for is the 8-channel logic analyzer, which makes it a pretty big waste of $500. The analog inputs are very poor (only 8-bit resolution, low sampling rate for the 100MHz they claim it can handle, and it cannot sample both input channels simultaneously except at VERY low speeds), and the software is annoying to use and has often been unstable for me.

Some things that I find are handy:

1. Small plastic storage bags (zip loc). You can write on them with a felt tip marker. Example of use: I purchased a resistor assortment and separated them by multiplier - indicating the multiplier on each bag. For common, frequently used resistors (100, 1k, 10k) I keep each of those in separate marked bag.

2. Vise or other means to hold PCB or other things in various positions to facilitate inspection, soldering, etc.

3. A separate switched circuit for all outlets on the bench - preferably with a light connected to the circuit. When I am done working, unless I am running a test, I turn the power off and everything on the bench is off (that is mains powered).

I have a 5 speed bench top harbor freight drill press next to my bench. I was about to buy a rotary tool stand and ran into the DP on sale. I was not expecting it to drill PCBs but it works, even with carbide bits which I expected to be a longshot at best. The had two similar units from different factories, one is much better then the other, check for wiggle slop. I can get the part number if anyone cares.

The other thing I want to mention is a bit odd. I keep all my parts in small 2x3 inch zip lock bags (hobby craft store). They are ok for the non static sensitive stuff. For anti-static I cut down the anti-static bags parts are shipped in and seal the edges using a Daisy Seal A Meal purchased for about $3 at the local thrift store. They close with a flap that tucks into packet. Hate the yellow stickers.

Chips go into cut down tubes with a rubber band to keep the chips from falling out. No tape or plugs.

Parts are worse the useless if you can not find them.
I too log parts in a database. Each cabinent has a number. Location C3-4B would be the 3rd cabinent, 4th row 2nd drawer.

I keep my parts in small ziplock baggies attached to file folders in a 3-ring binder. Most electronic hobbyists have a parts book with information about parts, mine actually contains parts.

Basic tools: (In no particular order)

Soldering Iron - Temperature controlled is best but not essential. A 15W iron is a good starter for about £15. 30W are cheaper (£5) but may be too much for small components.
Screwdrivers (Flat blade / phillips / Torx) and Pliers / cutters / srippers - Sets of these can be bought very cheaply at Sunday markets. Not top notch quality but they get you started at a low cost. You can then add to or replace as needed. Places like Lidl and Aldi have useful items on their limited speciall offers.

Power supply I've bought a 300mA 1.5 to 12V psu for £4 from Lidl which is adequate for most small scale experiments and guaranteed for 2 years. I've used a ten cell battery holder which can be tapped to give 1.5 to 15V (1.2 to 12 to rechargeables). An old PC PSU is usefull for higher current supplies.

Multimeter is an essential item. Analogue meters are fragile but easier to read if your looking for changes and cheap to buy (£10). Digital meters can be very accurate and robust. Some DVMs have an analog linear scale. There even some with PC interfaces so they can be used for logging.

Scope - Beware of buying scopes off ebay - "working" can mean that only the mains light comes on, it doesnt mean its functional.
Some will say that for the money spent on a scope you can buy a lot components and build a lot of projects. It depends where your interests are and what you want to do.
Perhaps not be an essential item for a beginner but, depending on what you do, could be a highly desirable item and very usefull. You can have a benchtop or a PC type. The PC scope can be a plug in card or an adapter (EG pico). My preference is for a benchtop - real controls always win over virtual ones.

Components
Old equipment is good for components (usefull even with short leads). Despite the fact that many have boards that use SMD it's still possible to get usefull things like: hardware screws, brackets, spacers, heatsinks, switches, sockets etc. VCRs can give motors, solenoids, IR receivers, LED displays, transformers. Copiers or laser printers can yield HV components as well as motors, gears, pulleys and optical parts. Old boilers can be a good source for relays and HV coils.

Finally don't forget a **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Dont forget good overhead lighting.

I have three 4 foot fluorescents over my work bench on adjustable chains, plus a 100watt table top light for close work.
If you cant see you cant work.
sam

Something glass and very thick to solder over. Glass is the ultimate soldering surface. The solder cannot stick or burn. I use a vanity mirror tray, complete with glass rails to keep things contained. If you scrap old electronics for parts you'll also need a desoldering pump. Avoid the "bulb" type.

TheVictim said:
Something glass and very thick to solder over. Glass is the ultimate soldering surface. The solder cannot stick or burn. I use a vanity mirror tray, complete with glass rails to keep things contained.

That's a pretty good idea. Another option is to use a piece of plywood as a work surface. It can be burned unlike glass, but that's not really a big deal. There's no risk of breaking it if you drop something on it, and you can cut/drill/etc against it and not care about damaging it, and if it gets too scarred up you can just flip it over or replace it.

I work mostly in SMD so I find these items critical:

- a selection of four sizes of tweezers, best quality I can find (tough to find good quality for cheap, but expect $15 each)
- a stereo microscope (used one)
- a hot air pencil with fine tip
- two soldering irons
- a flux pencil

There have been many threads on the subject of oscilloscopes but I think that a beginner should pick up a low cost used analog scope first, and then when needed, get a good digital scope later on. I agree with the other posters that a good bench DC supply is critical along with a good portable voltmeter. Next, you might find that a basic function generator will be useful.

Its funny how useful an audio signal tracer was in my early days (an old Heathkit unit). If you can hear your signal your brain can do a lot of signal processing on it.

Many Thanks!!!!!

Wow!!! to all

I can't thank you all enough for contributing to my question. I Will be scanning through all the posts to dig out bits of useful info then it's off to the shop to spend some cash.

Keep on with the suggestions, always good to hear other peoples preferences.

Regards Mark

Just build it up as you go (part of the fun) - suggested first project LM317 1.5-30V 1A power suppy? All you need for that is a digital multimeter. Ive gone from a cheap soldering iron many years ago to Multimeter, Digitally Manipulated PSU, Tektronix 2024B, Programmers for AVR, PIC and ARM, enough brick power supplys and parts to sink a battleship but then its my living aswell as a hobby :) Next project (when I get some time) is a 32 channel logic analyser.

Last edited:
A propane torch for depopulating old pcb.s you get from old junk you can really pull the parts out quickly and easily

You also need a good radio for listening to the ball games, a good quality coffee maker with covered thermos to keep you awake at night, and a ventilation system to keep the fumes out of your lungs. Lastly, if you plan to stand, a quality standing pad really pays for itself, or if you plan to sit, an adjustable stool set to the proper height. I may be sounding flip here, but my point is don't undervalue comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back