Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

efficiency and maximum efficiency for transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Kindly help me with the queries included in the attachment. I'm using **broken link removed** book; the example problems could be found at about page #703. Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards
PG

Last edited:
Hi,

I didnt read the entire contents of your post, but perhaps what they are suggesting is that when you calculate the efficiency you go by the actual values that you would actually measure in a real life circuit rather than a purely theoretical approach. For example, say the output was 120 volts and if full load was 1000 watts you connect a load that draws 8.333 amps, and at 120v that would be 14.4 ohms, but the internal resistances of the transformer would cause more of a voltage drop at the output so you would not get the full 120 volts, you'd get less than that. If you decrease the load to 12.319 ohms and get a full 1000 watts out, but then to get truly half that load you'd have to increase the load to 26.762 ohms, not twice 12.319 ohms which is 24.638 ohms which would not be the correct half load.
So in other words, you have to consider the internal resistances for all the calculations. That's what it looks like anyway.
If you dont agree i'll have to read it over more carefully :)

Hi MrAl

Could you please read my post more carefully? :) It's not that I don't agree with you; I'm just a little more confused now!

Regards
PG

Hi,

Well you know that a transformer is not perfect and has at least some resistive losses right? Those losses affect the actual load power.

Hi

Could you please help me with the query included in the attachment? I don't think I should start a new thread just to confirm that. Thank you.

Regards
PG

Thank you, KISS.

But it's an antenna not a transformer. You are right in saying that the transformer resembles that antenna. I still think that someone wanted to draw diagram for shell type transformer which also has secondary and primary on the leg of the core but forgot to draw or didn't know about the other section of the core for the shell type. Thanks.

Regards
PG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back