Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving Transformer Help

Athosworld

I made a small transformer with 30 turns on primary and around 250 turns on the secondary and I want to know how to drive it. I thought I could drive it with a 2N2222 oscillator like this one
5603F835-9FA8-4094-9504-0C3203CB9C3F.png

Could I just replace the LED with the primary of my transformer? What effect would this have on the circuit?
Here is my transformer
7EB2265A-D880-40ED-B008-9C8B5C4D82E4.jpeg

Driving a transformer with a DC average component is not desirable, since it tends to saturate the core.
Better to drive it with a push-pull output buffer stage through a large capacitor to block the DC.

Why is the base open?
Why is the emitter of an NPN transistor connected to the positive supply?

In other words, why are you attempting to drive a transformer with the EC reverse breakdown current?

Lastly, what are the transformer’s electrical characteristics?

Why is the base open?

In other words, why are you attempting to drive a transformer with the EC reverse breakdown current?

It's a very crude type of relaxation oscillator, that has be posted online numerous times.

When the reverse base-emitter breakdown occurs, the transistor can "trigger" like a UJT, with the forward biased base-collector junction acting in place of the normal base-emitter junction.

I made a small transformer with 30 turns on primary and around 250 turns on the secondary and I want to know how to drive it. I thought I could drive it with a 2N2222 oscillator like this one
What output from the transformer are you expecting?

I was playing with a similar circuit recently. I had a nice polycarbonate sheet as a shield to protect my face from the possible spatter of copper wire used as an electrode - unfortunately, I spattered the window on my fluke meter.

You mean exactly as car ignition coils work
Well, not exactly.
I don't think it's designed to saturate, just go to near saturation.
Anything beyond saturation would not add to the output.

I think an old-school car ignition has to saturate at low rpm or it won't be close to saturation at high RPM where it needs the strongest spark.
I don't think that the ignition coil saturates on a car. The current is limited by the resistance of the coil, but that doesn't mean that the magnetic field is saturated.

Modern cars limit the time that the coil is turned on for, and with the coil inductance that stops the current getting too large.

Why is the base open?

Lastly, what are the transformer’s electrical characteristics?
the transformer has a ferrite core
30 turns on primary 250 on secondary (new version has 20 turns on pri and 400 on sec
The primary is 1 mm wire and the sec is 0.1 mm

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back