Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DLP vs. LCD TV question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescue1

I figured I would ask this question here because there are many experts in electronics on this board,and I wanted a technical explanation.I was wondering what the differences are between DLP and lCD rear projection TV'S with negative's and positive's on both.I know that the LCD use expensive bulbs to light up the screen.I was looking to buy the new Grand Wega Sony 50" TV (LCD)and was wondering if it was a good bet.Thanks for the help..... 8)

Rescue1 said:
I figured I would ask this question here because there are many experts in electronics on this board,and I wanted a technical explanation.I was wondering what the differences are between DLP and lCD rear projection TV'S with negative's and positive's on both.I know that the LCD use expensive bulbs to light up the screen.I was looking to buy the new Grand Wega Sony 50" TV (LCD)and was wondering if it was a good bet.Thanks for the help..... 8)

The Sony rear projection sets are pretty good, bulb life is extremely long, unlike some overhead projectors where the bulb life is actually timed, and the set turns off after that many hours use and you have to pay to have the bulb replaced (and it's not a user replaceable item on some units).

Many of these sets are used in pubs and clubs, and the Sony bulbs hardly ever fail - but what does cause problems is stupid people who smoke!. This tends to ruin the optics, and although stipping and cleaning can help short term, eventually the entire optics need replacement - at HUGE cost.

Thank you Nigel for the reply.Whats nice about the unit I am looking at (KDF50WE655) is the bulb service panel thats makes replacing it very easy.Is there a advantage to the DLP sets??Thank you also for the great PIC tutorials.I bought a book recently and have been reading it,but have been working so much I haven't had the chance to play around with them...... 8)

Rescue1 said:
Thank you Nigel for the reply.Whats nice about the unit I am looking at (KDF50WE655) is the bulb service panel thats makes replacing it very easy.Is there a advantage to the DLP sets??Thank you also for the great PIC tutorials.I bought a book recently and have been reading it,but have been working so much I haven't had the chance to play around with them...... 8)

Yes, Sony sets are very easy to replace bulbs on, in fact they used to supply a spare bulb with the sets at one time.

I can't comment on DLP, I've never seen one!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back