Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

distance sensor, to scan in relief of a scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzlepecs

Does anyone know where i can find something like this?? Basically i need a camera/component that will scan in the relief of a room, so for every point on the grid i will have a distance value that i can feed into a microprocessor.. And fast ideally (IE not ultrasound).. I am doing a university project

thanks if anyone can figure out what im babbling about

Does anyone know where i can find something like this?? Basically i need a camera/component that will scan in the relief of a room, so for every point on the grid i will have a distance value that i can feed into a microprocessor.. And fast ideally (IE not ultrasound).. I am doing a university project

Hi Dazz,

if I am not misunderstanding what you are babbling about:D!, I think this link would be of help to you through your project. a cable fault detector, which similarly functions as a distance sensor to exactly detect where a either a shortcut or a cut in the cable has occured!
this is not what you will utterly be in need, I just thought it might be so:)
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/6741081.html

Muhammad89

Last edited:

hi,
There are commercial units available.

Comprises a laser ranger that scans the room.
The scan moves in 0.1deg steps in the X plane, when it completed the first 360deg scan the Y scan tilts up 0.1deg and so on until a range is obtained for each x,y point.
As each point is measured the Range,X,Y data is output via RS232 to a PC.
The laser scanner is fixed at a datum point in the room.

Is this what you mean

Hi Dazz,

if I am not misunderstanding what you are babbling about:D!, I think this link would be of help to you through your project. a cable fault detector, which similarly functions as a distance sensor to exactly detect where a either a shortcut or a cut in the cable has occured!
this is not what you will utterly be in need, I just thought it might be so:)
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/6741081.html

Muhammad89

thanks for the link Muhammad!! Maybe im not being open-minded enough but i am looking for an optical approach rather than measuring distance with wires

hi,
There are commercial units available.

Comprises a laser ranger that scans the room.
The scan moves in 0.1deg steps in the X plane, when it completed the first 360deg scan the Y scan tilts up 0.1deg and so on until a range is obtained for each x,y point.
As each point is measured the Range,X,Y data is output via RS232 to a PC.
The laser scanner is fixed at a datum point in the room.

Is this what you mean

yes exactly wow!! All i need is a forward view though, like a photograph.... That has potential, do you know what its device name is so i can research more??

many thanks both

yes exactly wow!! All i need is a forward view though, like a photograph.... That has potential, do you know what its device name is so i can research more??
many thanks both

hi,
Its called a 'Star Profiler' I designed and manufactured the unit, you can buy one for £27,000 if thats in your budget..:D

Used to measure volumes of caverns or storage mounds.

I would have thought a video system would be complex piece of equipment to use to measure volume.

I suppose one way would be to use a fast laser, scanning a X,Y grid pattern, say in the infra red and using a computer to measure the reflected distorted grid of the X,Y as seen by the camera.
By doing a comparision of the two grids it should be possible to work out the volume and profile of the room.

There are a number of ultrasonic ones out there but they are slow (but very cheap to build).

What kind of time are you talking about taking to image an average room ?

hi,
Its called a 'Star Profiler' I designed and manufactured the unit, you can buy one for £27,000 if thats in your budget..:D

Used to measure volumes of caverns or storage mounds.

I would have thought a video system would be complex piece of equipment to use to measure volume.

I suppose one way would be to use a fast laser, scanning a X,Y grid pattern, say in the infra red and using a computer to measure the reflected distorted grid of the X,Y as seen by the camera.
By doing a comparision of the two grids it should be possible to work out the volume and profile of the room.

wow you designed that!! amazing!!

I am only 4th year and not really that handy (yet) but i'll ask my tutor about your idea, it sounds too complex for me.. I was thinking there must be a way using two cameras but alas not enough knowledge yet

There are a number of ultrasonic ones out there but they are slow (but very cheap to build).

What kind of time are you talking about taking to image an average room ?

i am wanting a real time distance map, which will be converted into a grid of pins to show the topology/relief of a view.. Its a project for blind people to see what is in front of them with touch (ie orientation around around rooms). Yes its too ambitious and yes its probably going to be scrapped!!! I can use ultrasound i guess to show the principle, but i thought it doesnt have a narrow enough field of vision??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back