Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control Ckt for 1RPM movement using M42SP-7P stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutycaty

Hi all! I'm a newbee elex engg student & wana build a wooden camera platform[Barn door mount as it is called by astro geeks] which tracks the skies.Its plane is carefully tilted towards pole so only 1 axis needs to b rotated.Mechanical arrangement is such that 1/4"[20 tpi] threaded rod drives the plates apart @ rate of 1 RPM to chase the motion of earth.Same thing can also b readily applied in SunSeeker system but it does so only 4 couple of hours.

I've got a salvaged stepper motor from a printer paper feed.Its M42SP-7P manuf.by Mitushi & its written QH4-4389 & 21ohm.There is 5:1 gear reduction with 12 teeth gear permanently attached to the motor shaft.Motor has 5 wires.So i believe its a unipolar motor.

Now how do i proceed to make the control ckt to operate w/o microcontroller if possible? & i've read that microstepping will reduce jerks which w'd otherwise be visible in long xposure[many minutes] photos to be taken with the setup.Which ICs should i use to have stable/accurate speed?

Do i need temp.compensation coz the ckt may operate in night hours when due/cold conditions?:confused:

I've also chkd mains power adapter of printer & its working!!its o/p is 5v@0.2A & 24V@ 0.55A.Can i use itas well here?Plz help me with details & if possible links to practical ckts & connections.This is my 1st post & since robotics experts r expected to know a gr8 deal about motors;posted in this sub forum.;)

hello..

You may need to break your problem apart into small parts.. especially if that's your first project.

First start by trying to drive a stepper motor alone, and you'll notice in no time, that you'll need a micro controller. Then you'll start by searching for a micro controller that is simple enough to get started like an ATMEGA16, a 89S52 or a PIC as all the people on this forum are PIC adepts.

then you will need a simple power circuit, to drive the coils of the motor from the micro-controller signals..

Microsteps can be achieved with a PWM equipped micrcontroller like the ATMEGA16..

IF you still want to stick to non-microcontroller circuits, well, the net is full of it:
**broken link removed**
Stepper Motor Controller
**broken link removed**

Thanks 4 help.

Tode on stupid advice of friend got a synchronous motor of 5 rpm but it proved to b useless since within matter of minits it stopped functioning n prior to that every s/w on was giving it random direction.Further freq stability w'd be a problem along with mains availability.So stepper is the most precise option n i'm also considering uc after its advantages n expansion flexibilities like addition of pan & Tilt head later on.

Rait now I've got L293D IC n hell of logic gates in stock box were already there..n also CD 4060 which was mentioned in one of the ckts having SAA1027 bt later IC is unavailable.Can i succeed with L293D for this motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back