Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constructing points motors for model railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatsman

Has anyone built point motors for model railways? These are simply solenoids operating on 12vdc or 5vdc. I thought of using plastic tubes from ball pens (the outer tube not the ink tube) to wind the wire on but I don't know how to calculate the wire thickness or the number of turns on say for example a coil former of 9mm outside dimension. The solenoid would need to move about between 5mm and 1 cm. Would be grateful for any advice.

Jaycar catalogue numbers SS0900 - SS0903 are miniature 12v solenoids, but that depends if you have a set budget or would rather create them yourself, but on that, i cannot help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back