Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting the output of an op amp to analog in of atmega168

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjel

On one of the analog inputs of an Atmega168 I have a series of two inverting op amps (first one reduces gain by 2, second one re-inverts signal. Using this configuration so that the first opamp can have a +5V connected to it in order to shift a bipolar source signal up). I am using TL072 amps connected to +/-12v

The output of the opamps is connected directly to clamping diodes so that the final output is limited to the range of 0-5V.

For the most part this is working but occasionally I am getting readings with higher than normal noise flutuations (at specific input voltages). I am concerned about how I have connected the opamp to the analog input pins and wonder if I need a current limiting resistor (200r ?) and perhaps even a capacitor to ground?

The signals I am reading at this input are relatively slow changing.

It may be also do to power supply instability..

If you signal is slow changing, i don't see why you should get any fluctuation.

you can try to feed the ATMEGA analog input with a voltage reference (zenner + resistor) and see if the reading is stable.

One last advice for the road, always skip the first 1 or 2 readings from the ADCs of the ATMEGAs! they are not reliable enough ( i read it somewhere on the datasheet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back