Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparator is tripping too early in inrush circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
We have a 12kW power supply with some 9mF of output capacitance.
We must connect it to a customer device which has a 48V lithium battery.

Immediately prior to connection, the output capacitance of the power supply will be discharged. As such, the battery could inrush severely into this output capacitance and cause spark damage to the connector surface. Therefore, we have the attached inrush limiter circuit (pdf and LTspice sim attached)...

The problem is that the comparator is triggering when its 5V Vcc goes high, rather than waiting for its non-inverting input to go above its inverting input.
Is this a nuance of the simulator, or something that we would see in real life?

Attachments

• Inrush Circuit.asc
    6.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Inrush Circuit.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 161
When I opened .asc file, U2 was not connected.
Now I see, we have different symbols.
Are you just looking for a inrush current limiter?

My sim shows the comparator going high at about 0.7s.
(I rearranged the circuit to make it easier to read.)
But there's still a very high surge current at that point.

If you changed to an LM339 comparator, you could eliminate the 5V supply.

1587312878403.png

Last edited:
Hi,
Thnaks, yes, all i want is inrush limitation.
Thanks to you both.....actually, i had only grounded the ground pin of the comparator, and not the other two. (latch and Vneg) ..as such problem now solved.......now just optimising the inrush circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back