Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common Electronic Part Categories

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacterozoid

I'm hoping to get a little assistance compiling a nice list of common (things a typical/advanced hobbyist may use) electronic part categories. I'm no expert by any means so input from everyone here will help me out a lot. Categories could be things like resistors, capacitors, audio, optics, ICs, micros, etc.

Edit: I'm not looking to learn about electronics or to know what type of parts to buy. I'm writing an application to help categorize electronic parts and I'm just trying to get a handle (from other hobbyists) on how people categorize their own part collections.

Here's what I'm looking for:

In general:

Code:
Main Category [Properties]
> Subcategory [Additional Properties, if any]
>> Sub-subcategory  [Additional Properties, if any]
> Subcategory [Additional Properties, if any]

Some examples:

Code:
Resistor [Color Code, Value]
> 1/4 Watt
> 1/2 Watt

Code:
Capacitor [Value]
> Electrolytic
> Ceramic [C0de]

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
You want to no what you need to get started ???? it All depends on what you want to do
you could go to radio shack get a bag of resistors $12.95 a box of Capacitors $3.99
15 npn $2.49 15 pnp $2.49 and A bread board $6.99 and find some old 4 wire solid copper
phone wire free if you look around for it. Get a good volt ohm meter $50.00 home depot
and check out this site Learning Electronics : Free Electric Circuits Textbooks

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't need to learn about electronics - I already know enough about that. I'm looking to find some common categories of parts the typical hobbyist may use.

Thanks, but I don't need to learn about electronics - I already know enough about that. I'm looking to find some common categories of parts the typical hobbyist may use.

What you are asking is for someone to identify your interests.

You need to know if you are primarily interested in digital, or analog. Then start from there.

If you are into micro-controllers, the parts list is going to be different than ham radio.

The field of electronics is wide, you will have to be more specific on your interests in the field before anyone could give you categories of parts.

I'm a hobbyist. I did a lot of shopping at the thrift stores what I found common are 47uf capcitors 10uf and 1uf. But, the resistors were all different and from 1/4 to 1/2 watt. Power resistors went up depending on supply and output voltages.

I'd say buying a kit of resistors both 1/4 and 1/2 watt.

A lot of broken consumer electronics are just thrown away having a few scrap circuit boards laying around to rob for a hobbyist is not a bad idea saves money.

kv

Last edited:
Most people that ask for a list don't no what they need.
Thanks, but I don't need to learn about electronics
common categories of parts the typical hobbyist may use
I use them all you name it I would say I'm all most sure to have it. What do you want say's lets make a list for picmicro avr Intel uc. 1 for basic electronics 1 for radio electronics 1 logic electronics .

Last edited:
Again, I don't need my interests identified or to try and find out what I need. I'm not actually looking to buy parts and I'm not new to electronics. I do appreciate the response, but let me try to clarify again what I need.

I'm writing an application that will allow users to categorize and sort their electronic parts and I'm just looking to see, from other hobbyists, what some of the common categories of parts people use are.

killivolt, you're on the right track. I don't need specific part names like 47uF or anything like that, just something like Capacitor, Resistor, Microcontroller, Optics, etc.

If you think about the parts you own, how do you categorize them, what properties are important when you're looking for them?

Digikey Catalog.......it's all right there in the index!

You could look at some sites that sell components, observe how their search engine works and then emulate that with your program. An example of sorting MOSFETs:
Digi-Key Part Search
I'll admit the DigiKey site is a little TOO detailed for the average hobbyist, but you get the general idea.

I agree with kchriste--check out some of the apps already available, look at online product catalogs, ask in various places for people's impressions of which ones are set up well and which ones aren't so easy to use.

Make up some mockups of the application using different sorting/category layouts, and get people to test them and tell you what they liked and didn't like about it. Essentially what you're doing here is usability testing. It helps if you get people to test it who have different levels of ability in various areas. For instance, try to get someone who is experienced in electronics but not so much in using computers; try to get someone else who is starting out in electronics but pretty good with computers (at least proficient in using different kinds of apps), etc.

It's a bit tedious but well worth it in the long run if you intend to sell the app.

Good luck,

Torben

This is what I have done. Most of my work is low power so I bought 50 of every value of resistor, 10%, 1/4W, from 100Ω to 10MΩ. These are MCF series carbon film and cost $1.00 per 50. There are 12 values in each decade. I group all my resistors together in clip lock bags (to stop the legs oxidising) based on their first 2 digits, and write this on each bag. That is, I put 10 on the bag containing 100, 1k, 10k, 100k, 1M and 10M. The same with the other 11 values. I also design high frequency circuits, because reactive components, such as capacitors and inductors, can be kept at low values, making them cheaper. I bought ±10% MCBU or MCFY series ceramic capacitors, 10 each, at around $1.50 per 10, ranging from 100pF to 100n. Above these values, use electolytics. A couple of 1000uF thrown in won't hurt. Dont bother with inductors to much. Also, opamps are very handy. You can do an awfull lot of trickery with these. I use single rail type LM324 quad opamp at $4.26 for 5. Maybe throw in a 555 timer or two. As for IC's, well I'll leave that to your imagination. They are lots of fun to use. Hope this helps.

Now I get what you are trying to do.

Here is an idea, get a label maker and one of these

Attachments

• spacesavers_2043_17954016.gif
    spacesavers_2043_17954016.gif
    42.3 KB · Views: 165
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll hop onto some of those sites and see what I can come up with - probably the best way to go about things, I reckon.

Hi,

When i first started collecting bits and pieces of electronic stuff, it was just a box of bits. Then later more boxes of bits would get added. Then later the boxes got arranged into rough groupings of components, boards, chassis type bits and small transformers.

I expect that people who go in for these sort of interests, the way that collections are organised and stored are very personal and the degree of conformity to a structure is probably only evident with resistors, and maybe capacitors. Those who have extensive collections of valves will often group them in types of their base fitting. Exceptions are those valves which are regarded seperately from the rest, and will often have their own place, which may or may not be amongst the majority of the collection.

Finding or looking for a particular valve is not a problem for me, unless its a 'B9A' type. That type is probably the most common type, i have too many of them to be sure of having or not having any particular type. The other types are in cardboard boxes, and fairly easy to look through.

I did go to quite a bit of trouble to sort out my components.
Sort of got the resistors sorted fairly easily.

Fixed(x hiwatts), Variable, Hi Wattage types(inc droppers), Specials.

FIXED types.
These are the most common types that i have. They are just small low wattage resistors divided up into six cardboard boxes, six value ranges.

Under 100 ohms.
Under 1 K ohms.
Under 10 K ohms.
Under 100 K ohms.
Under 1 M ohms.
Any higher values.

VARIABLES
These were subdivided, smaller little ones were put in with the appropriate resisistor boxes.
Ones big enough to have knobs fitted were given a box of their own.
Tandem and multiple types have been lumped together with anything odd in the variable resistor range.
These categories kind of overlap a bit too, but when looking for a given type it helps.

HI WATTAGE
Pretty self explanatory. I used to call this box 'Big resistors' cos most of them are big.
Droppers and such like resistors.
This category merits its own collection as resistors intended to handle higher wattages are a group apart.
My collection of these is not large, just a small boxfull. If i dont have the exact one i want, i will "make one up" from the ones i have, then i can purchase one to suit later if i want to.

SPECIALS.
This group includes my personal collection of "body-end-spot" types, which are "age-related" and reserved for appropriate equipment. Also any very old or weird types. Some home made ones out of very old stuff.

Sorting out the capacitors was far more involved. My capacitors are still only partly sorted out.
The variables group is not sorted out, they are still just 'tidied away'
The electrolytics group is now in boxes according to working voltage, but its a wide value range epecially in the lower voltages.

The paper types are still not sorted.
The AC working types are now grouped in their own box.
The very high voltage types now have their own box.

As for the rest of the stuff, i try to keep 'like with like' but thats as far as it goes.

I have a liking for older type meters, i have been photographing them, I've compiled about a third so far.

John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back