Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

COM84 Programmer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodin

I saw that WinPic has support for a programmer called COM84. And i found this scematic which is very simple:
**broken link removed**

Is there anyone who has any experience about that one.

My thought i that the 16F84 and the 16F88 has the same pinout, then it would be possible to program a 16F88 with this one to. Is that correct?

Then it would of course be possible to program any device if i just change sockets and check in the PIC's datasheets for PGD, PGC, VDD, VSS and MCLR and connect them to the right pins on the uC?

Would it even work as a ICSP, or do that require other hardware?

brodin said:
I saw that WinPic has support for a programmer called COM84. And i found this scematic which is very simple:
**broken link removed**

Is there anyone who has any experience about that one.

It's a variation on the JDM style programmers, and as such depends on the serial port been over specification, on some computers it will work, on some it won't.

My thought i that the 16F84 and the 16F88 has the same pinout, then it would be possible to program a 16F88 with this one to. Is that correct?

As long as the software supports it, it should be OK.

Then it would of course be possible to program any device if i just change sockets and check in the PIC's datasheets for PGD, PGC, VDD, VSS and MCLR and connect them to the right pins on the uC?

Again, depending on the software.

Would it even work as a ICSP, or do that require other hardware?

You need more hardware in the target circuit, rather than in the programmer - but as it's powered off the TXD line, you would need to isolate power to the PIC, and also to make sure the oscillator can't run.

As i dont have a programmer yet i'm gonna build one of these. I will let you know how it turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back