Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitive and inductive circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Could you please help me with the query included in the attachment? Thanks a lot.

Regards
PG

Impedance of a capacitor is Z=1/wC and I=V/Z (ohms law), so I=w.C.V
(applicable for steady state RMS voltage and current values)

Last edited:
Thank you for the help, kubeek.

(applicable for steady state RMS voltage and current values)

I don't understand the quoted part. As you can see, in the attachment, I_0=ω*C*V_0, where "I_0" and "V_0" are peak current and voltage. I don't think they are RMS values, are they? So, could you please help me to see the relevance of your comment here? Thank you.

Regards
PG

PG1995,

Look at the equation above your question. Doesn't it say I=wCVo*cos(wt)?
So if I=Io*cos(wt), doesn't it stand to reason the Io=wCVo ?

Ratch

Sorry, the RMS was superfluous, the numbers could be peak value, RMS or average. But anyway the ohms law equation I posted can be used only for amplitudes in steady state circuits, meaning you only have a single frequency involved and you look at the circuit after it has stabilized, that is after all transients from switching it on have diminished.

PG1995,

Look at the equation above your question. Doesn't it say I=wCVo*cos(wt)?
So if I=Io*cos(wt), doesn't it stand to reason the Io=wCVo ?

Ratch

Hi Ratch

You have a point. Thanks for pointing this out.

Sorry, the RMS was superfluous, the numbers could be peak value, RMS or average. But anyway the ohms law equation I posted can be used only for amplitudes in steady state circuits, meaning you only have a single frequency involved and you look at the circuit after it has stabilized, that is after all transients from switching it on have diminished.

Thank you for clearing this out, kubeek.

Regards
PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back