Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calculus problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashford

hey,
I've got another calculus problem. The text that I'm using gives an example but the solution to the problem seems a bit incorrect. So I just want to know if it's a mistake by the author or is it actually correct and if so can you explain it to me? Here's the problem

latex2png.2.png

latex3png.2.png

I think that the solution should actually be:

latex4png.2.png

since the anti-derivative of 30 is suppose to be 30t

Ashford,

What is the variable of integration? Is it "t"? If so, there should be a dt under the ∫ sign? If the variable is "t", then the answer is 20(a^(3/2) - b^(3/2))/(b-a)

Ratch

Ratchit is correct, so long as you are integrating with respect to t. (dt)
You should get:
20/(b-a) * [a^(3/2) - b^(3/2)]

Mistake:
30 t^(1/2) is together, you don't split it up and integrate each individual part. That is your mistake.

30 t^(1/2) becomes 20t^(3/2) and not 30t [2/3t^(3/2)]

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes normally the "dt" would also be shown within the integrand so we are sure of what the variable of integration is.
For this it is most likely 't' and so we would first move the constant '30' outside of the integral, then treat sqrt(t) as t^(1/2), then follow the rule of exponents for integrals which is to increase the exponent by 1 and then divide by that result:

Integral(x^n)=(x^(n+1))/(n+1)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back