Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buy photoresistors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred.Amoson

Hello,

I am working on a new project that uses a lot of photoresistors. I've looked at my usual sources (digikey, mouser) and did not find any. Am I just doing my searching wrong or am do they not carry them for some reason?

I would like to buy them from a large carrier (like digikey) as opposed to eBay, so that I can go back later and get the same part, and get datasheets.

Thanks!

The single most important part of searching for anything, is terminology =) There's more than one term for just about everything.

Try searching for photocell, Digikey pulls up a pretty good list.

Or even LDR (Light Dependent Resistor)

Thanks, the photocell search did it for me. I am kind of surprised in the pricing of those things though, I thought they were super cheap?

Try shopping around a bit, some places and parts are cheaper than others.

Can you use ......

Fred.Amoson said:
Hello,

I am working on a new project that uses a lot of photoresistors. I've looked at my usual sources (digikey, mouser) and did not find any. Am I just doing my searching wrong or am do they not carry them for some reason?

I would like to buy them from a large carrier (like digikey) as opposed to eBay, so that I can go back later and get the same part, and get datasheets.

Thanks!

........ photo diodes? Why, because I have a large surplus.

Photocells/Light Dependant Resistors or Photo Resistors are usually Cadmium sulfide based. Photocell is a more generic description which can refer to any device that detects light. Modern compound photocells have virtually nothing to do with cadmium sulfide LDR's except an obscure linguistic link but one common enough obviously to provide a search related bias on Digikey =) Search for LDR on Digikey and it will provide a reference to 2,018 items, most are completely unrelated. Photocell provides 32 links, all exactly the device in question.

In an LDR/Photo resistor the amount of light falling on the device directly affects it's resistance.
Photodiodes are a completely different class of devices that take advantage that any PN junction (diode) will self bias when exposed to light related to the semiconductor material's specific frequency of excitation

Last edited:
They can be cheaply had, depends on the source. I buy the ones from Mode Electronics via one of their distributers. They make several, part numbers are 90-154-0 through 90-157-0 covering several resitance ranges.

Check the Mode Electronics website, https://www.mode-elec.com

Click on miscellaneous items in the navigation menu, a new list will appear, CDS cells are there.

Cheapest I have found anywhere by far. I get a hundred at a time at about 35 cents US each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back