Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Butane solder iron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod m1

Hi everyone you have a grate sight hear. I'm just starting out in the electronics hobby and have a few questions on solder irons and supplies. My first question I would like to ask is will a Butane iron work well for building boards and on sight repairs? There attractive to me do to portability and storage. What do you think of this model for general building and repairs of boards? What other tips and stuff should I get for it?

h**p://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/query.cgi?query=weller+p2kc

No. Been there. Done that. I had the bigger Pro version of the one you're looking at and pretty much all the tips. Great for soldering large wires to terminals, shrinking heatwrap, and soldering other big chunky things- sucked for PCB work. >>>>SUCKED<<<<

If you want an iron but not a station,, spend your $50 on one of these:
https://www.howardelectronics.com/goot/px201.html

Works way WAY better. Portability and storage is nothing if the tool won't do what you want it to. Sure, it's a little less power than the butane iron (70W vs the 120W one I have, not sure how much the one you are looking at is), but it's temperature controlled so you don't have to wait for the tip to heat up after every joint. It's also has tips that are just as large as the Portasol if you need, but more importantly comes with tips that are finer than the finest Portasol tip (the thinnest portasol tip looks like it can solder PCBs, but it can't- only the largest pins and pads).

Last edited:
Temperature control is a HUGE boon to anyone, I have a 60 watt Iron but no temperature control so if I'm not using it it massivly overheats, I scorch a lot of stuff, my next purchase is going to be a temperature controlled station or iron.

If you want portable go for a 12V iron with a car cigarette lighter plug and a vehicle starter battery pack with a cigarette lighter socket.

"Hi everyone you have a grate sight hear."

I just never, ever correct English on forums, for to do so tends to ruffle feathers and stiffle the information exchange intended on the forum. But I just can't let this one go by, and new member Rod, please don't take this personally as a flame, but just for your information as you go along in life. I make mistakes in posts, also -- mostly typos, some just plain dumb, so I'm certainly not perfect by any means.

The sentence quoted is rife with homonyms, words that sound the same but have different meanings and are spelled differently. Although the meaning is quite obvious, the last three words should be "great site here".

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back