Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

burst length and burst size

Status
Not open for further replies.

abilash

hello, i woulk like to know what is burst size and burst length in data transfer from master to slave. and how can it be achieved in programming.

They are the same thing. If we are talking about data, it is the length of a string of bits. If we are talking about noise then it is the number of bits in sequence that is corrupted or destroyed by the noise. Can't see how this knowledge will help you but there it is.

it is said burst length varies from 1 to 16 and burst size varies from 1 to 128. it is regarding the data transfer. i feel burst size indicates no of bits in each transfer and lenght indicates no of times. is its some thing like dat huh... if so how can this be implemented using vhdl.

abilash said:
it is said burst length varies from 1 to 16 and burst size varies from 1 to 128. it is regarding the data transfer. i feel burst size indicates no of bits in each transfer and lenght indicates no of times. is its some thing like dat huh... if so how can this be implemented using vhdl.

"it is said.." who said? Nah.. dont believe it.

You still have a very ill defined question. I guess that you are asking how to create a digital bit stream that has programmable string length and programmable burst size in VHDL? It's easy. Generate a register to store the programmable lengths and write a state machine that perfroms the burst sequences. If you dont know how to write a state machine, then this task is too much for you. Time to go learn for awhile before attempting.

exactly....

sir u gat wat i am asking. i know how to create state machines. we use case statement for that. but i want to know how to create the bursts in vhdl. each brust must have a different address value every time. how can it be achieved. i'lll try to redefine my problem.

i need to transmit a bit stream from one point to another as specified by the length of the burst. each of the burst is specified by the burst size. the address the data is been sent is changed for every new burst.

how can this be achieved in vhdl... please do help me...
with regards....

What is the nature of the address?

It's not clear whether you need to embed the address in the data stream, or use it elsewhere.

address is 32bit wide and the value of the address keeps on changing. if the burst size is 4 the next address will be previous address + 4.... how can this be imlemented.

Are you building a serial interface, or a RAM controller?

You need to do more than "use a case statement to create state machines". The state machine defines the timing of signal changes. Some of these signal changes include the updating of registers. When you figure out what to update the registers with, what control signals to change for the purpose of enabling or disabling register updates, and when to update each register, then you can code your state machine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back