Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bootstrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
OK, apologies, a new user posted a question on bootstrapping, but double posted - so I deleted one of his posts, and BOTH disappeared?.

So, to answer his question:

Bootstrapping to increase input impedance basically removes the impedance added by the biasing resistor.

It works by simple ohms law - 'V = I x R'. The resistor feeding the base will have a DC voltage drop across it, due to the current through it - the resistance of this can easily be calculated by R = V / I.

Now what bootstrapping does is feed a 'copy' of the input signal back to the other end of the resistor - so BOTH ends of the resistor change together. As both ends change together there's no change in current in the resistor, as we talking AC impedance here, no change in current means no AC current flowing - which effectively makes the resistor look like a very high impedance.

So bootstrapping effectively removes the added impedance of the input resistor, but doesn't reduce the actual input imedance of the transistor it's driving - but you design for the transistor to have a high input impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back