Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biristor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguarjoe

Does anyone know what a "biristor" is? It has something to do with AC power control, maybe like a triac?

I have an old Milwaukee VS drill that died after only 45 years of use:( The trigger mechanism in the speed controller wore out. It's a relatively big controller with many discrete components. The phosphor bronze mechanical contacts wore out pretty much making it useless.

I bought a new "updated" replacement but it is very different from what I had. This unit is much smaller than the old one. It's made by Tyco and says "biristor" on its side. Of course I took it apart and it appears to be a small (TO-252?) three pin device attached to an equally small (.5" x .75") pcb with a few smd's on it.

When I put it in series with the drill's series wound brush motor, all I got was 0 or full speed from it. Having only two terminals on the package (line & load) it's pretty hard to miswire it.

The markings on the biristor are 1517042-1 and 4A052. Googling was no help.

If I could identify it, I could troubleshoot and see where my problem is.

Thanks,

Joe

The term you are referring to is known in the electronics world as a bistable resistor, a type of memory cell, however, what you are actually looking at there is an old Eaton speed control trigger mechanism that used the name Bi-Ristor. I didn't know that Tyco made such a thing. If I remember correctly, they originally contained 2 transistors, but what you are describing would seem to be different, quite possibly a Triac or Thyristor control circuit. Some close up hi-def photos might help troubleshoot it :)

Seems that eaton electronics used to make a variable speed switch called a bi-ristor.
If your runs full speed or off that implies that the triac is shorted, a common fail mode for a triac, maybe the device isnt rated high enough for your machine.

The BI-RISTOR (SWITCH 4A 125VAC) is manufactured by many. It's a pot with a momentary switch ( and also a nanocell :)

3rd party replacements are avail. http://www.plccenter.ca/en-CA/Search/Advanced?TopCategoryId=48&CategoryId=538
e632dbd8fbc94a939dd607ec464c065c.jpg

http://www.plccenter.ca/en-CA/Searc...CUTLER HAMMER&TopCategoryId=48&CategoryId=538

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back