Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best movie robot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, if we're talking about the robot that's torturing the other robots, that guy has the coolest voice of all the Star Wars robots! Second, the mechanical moving with respect to his voice reflects what I believe are two essential components to a great movie robot: 1) how the robot works should be within the scope of being believable; 2) some element of the robot should be beyond the scope of being believable, as to provoke the imagination. Getting the mix just right is the key I think, especially with respect to the last point.

I see where you're coming from on points 1 and 2 but in my opinion that particular robot wildly missed the mark on both counts, especially point 2. Even as a kid I thought the useless flapping metal jaw was stupid. It's not so much unbelievable as just pointless.

As far as the incidental robots from that series go, I had nightmares (some of the worst of my childhood) about the medical droid from Empire Strikes Back, when Luke is in the biogel tank. I don't know why that one freaked me out so much.

Torben

Virus

I think some of the coolest movie robots i saw were in Virus, the entire boat was the robot with a single brain"" in charge of all the robots, little bugs and giant things making smaller ones.
very good move,
covers the AI, robotics, and Biomechanical.

I think some of the coolest movie robots i saw were in Virus, the entire boat was the robot with a single brain"" in charge of all the robots, little bugs and giant things making smaller ones.
very good move,
covers the AI, robotics, and Biomechanical.

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that movie. It was quite a bit better than I was expecting when I rented it. But the downer was that even all the little bug robots were cabled to their power source. ->UNIMPRESSED<- lol
The 5 Most Kick-Ass Apocalyptic Prophecies said:
Judgement Day:
Four guys on a multicolored assortment of horses will charge across the world, spreading War, Famine, Pestilence and Death. In other words, things will look exactly like they do now, so you'll need to actually see the horses to know something is up.
[...]
Luckily, according to the Bible, all this can only come when no one is expecting it. So we're safe for now, thanks to this article.

... lmao ...that's pretty sad when you think about it.

Last edited:
Re:Torben's fear of the TESB med-bot

I remember being kind of confused as a kid about Darth Vader: was he a robot, or wasn't he? There doesn't seem to be any evidence that I can recall from Star Wars that's decisive either way. That said, I was searching for images to illustrate my point, and instead found the following - this probably would have confused me as a kid even further (apparently, it's out of a colouring book):
**broken link removed**

Of course, it's got nothing on this lightswitch my mother-in-law sent me last weekend:
**broken link removed**

Parents: censor your children!

Last edited:
Oh great. I just laughed water up my nose.

How does something like that make it to production? You can't not notice, can you?

Torben

Oh great. I just laughed water up my nose.

How does something like that make it to production? You can't not notice, can you?

Torben

You have a nasty mind...lol

Is jeebus naughty touching one of the tots???

The first robot popping to mind was number johnny 5, saw both movies, loved the bot. Enjoyed the leading actor's (Indian guy) accent at that time, even mimicked it at school, drove everyone nuts with it.
Funny though, I don't recall anyone listing those baddies from the terminator series, that female type thing from number three was quite something.
Have anyone ever noticed that sometimes something is featured in a movie - far fetched at the time - and just sometimes years later a similar thing appears in real life.
I've outgrown examples now, but torben beware of the med-bot:D

Now that lawn cutter bot is something, I'm sure most men dream about.
I needed that a couple of years ago, had a piece of property with more than 900sq.m of lawn inside the walls. then there was the huge side walk.
Man, I used to cut grass in payments sapnning 2 days or more, and I've actually dreamt about such a mower.
The next thing is a robot pooper scooper, then I don't have to walk after the dogs every day...hahahaha

Re:Torben's fear of the TESB med-bot

Of course, it's got nothing on this lightswitch my mother-in-law sent me last weekend:
**broken link removed**

Parents: censor your children!

a good indicator for if something is turn on or off:D:D:D

Robert-Jan

I see it now, wow that is wrong. They seem to be staring...

It took me a while, I suppose in this situation that is good? Who would make these? I am definitely saving this into my lol picture file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back