Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic Square wave distortion measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Banned
What are some basic Square wave distortion testing and checking
i can do ?

Are there any square wave distortion waveform charts?

Even the rise time and fall time, since they are not instantaneous, can be considered measurable square wave distortion. I would guess that Google-ing such terms as "square wave", "distortion", and "ringing" will provide some useful waveform graphics. I'm less confident you would find any "square wave distortion waveform charts."

Yea to show me waveforms about ringing and overshooting
distortion

What should i be looking for in the waveform checking?

What are some basic Distortion checking and measurements?

Doing Distortion measuring with the oscilloscope?

Waveform checking for distortions?

If your'e using an oscilloscope to check square wave distortion (i don't know of any other way) make sure that your probe is correctly compensated. There should be a little jack that outputs a square wave from your oscilloscope, connect your probe to that. Then there is a little adjustable capacitor in the probe that you use to compensate it. If your probe is overcompensated, you will get sharp peaks, and if it is undercompensated, you will get rounded off edges. It should be in between . . . a SQUARE wave :lol:

If this procedure is not done, you will get incorrect measurements. This isn't only for squre waves, your scope should always be compensated correctly.

If i put a square wave in the input what does the square wave
look like if its distorted or with phase problems the waveshaping
should be different

Does this help?

Attachments

• scope_194.jpg
    scope_194.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 995
Yes thats whats im talking about thats alot for the picture

When you see those waveforms on the oscilloscope do you
guys look at a chart like the picture and try to troubleshoot
from each stage or check the components of each stage
how would you start after knowing what kind of waveform you got
know from the chart?

Do you start checking each stage?
Checking Components?

A basic principle of trouble-shooting a cascade of stages is to start in the middle. That cuts the problem in half. Then check each component and stage until the faulty part is found. That may not be easy, especially if there is feedback. You will need to do DC measurments also, the problem could be a shorted capacitor or open resistor.

Scope, Lastly

Hope this helps you as well as others.

Take care..........Gary

Attachments

• scope-3.jpg
    scope-3.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 800
Sorry, I have No Idea.

These are Photographs, of Photostats, of Pages, of a few Books that I did back around 1970.

The names of the books are Not on these photostats.

I have a collection of these photostats, all on various topics. Great reference material.

Take care........Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back