Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bad micro experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not killed a pic - though that surprises me because really it's overdue :s

I have managed to kill a potentiometer though!

Well I suppose my pot explosion deserves a bit more credit (credit for stupidity).

Pot's may be easy to kill in that sense, but you didn't compensate for the 'dakta factor' - i.e the pot was shorted across a metal surface. That metal surface was my computer. The supply was my computers 12v rail..

Yes, you can laugh :)

Last edited:
I killed my first uC just recently. Hooked up the wrong pins to the sensor on an MSP430 and sent 12V through it. Probably would have been fine if I figured it out right away, but I let it sit for a while trying to figure out what the problem was.

You must have done something SERIOUSLY nasty to it :D

Are you absolutely sure you don't still have a short on the pins somewhere?.

Nah, the pin in question was the PGD which is right next to VDD.

On Vregs, it was dark and I managed to hook up my board (undioded) to a 12v Pb battery wrong way round. The reg was smoking, and on correct power up very dodgy. The PIC was fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back