Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Allowing deletes for duplicate posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
I know VB can be configured for it, so do you see any reason not to allow user deletes during the same editable time frame so the user can delete duplicate posts?

i find some users, deleting or editing their posts after few replies, causing the replies irrelevant to the modified query. as such I am of the opinion, once a reply or two are posted, the OP need not be allowed to remove, mod, edit his.her post.

Some boards detect duplicates and automatically delete them.

Mike.

hi Mike,
The Mods have the option to do a hard delete [ remove completely] or a soft delete [ for later un-delete]

I do try to pick up on duplicates and delete them.

i find some users, deleting or editing their posts after few replies, causing the replies irrelevant to the modified query. as such I am of the opinion, once a reply or two are posted, the OP need not be allowed to remove, mod, edit his.her post.

There are certain poster, who shall remain nameless, who do this. I now quote those members in my reply.

@Eric,
I think on other boards it's automatic. When you make the post it state "Duplicate post deleted" or something like that. Some also append to your last post if no one else has posted in between.

Mike.

Lock first post - not an ideal solution

The backdraws by not allowing users to modify first post is that:
  • I cannot put "[solved]" in subject field when problem is solved.
  • I cannot remove really stupid typos

However I have an idea how to avoid stupid situations when users edit post after some have answered it. I've a couple of ideas how to deal with it

Red warning
If a post is edited AND there exists later posts, then a red text appears in the bottom on the post (not editable for user, and far more visible than other text) saying that the text has been altered.

Save a copy of original post
Same as above, but add a buttons that cycles through different versions of the post. Ie. if user have altered content twice, it will be three different versions of the same post.
There could be a number added to post heading - example:
Subject line: "my post". So when cycling between versions, forum members will read
"my post #1", "my post #2", etc.

However, this isn't a ideal solution either.
Example: If I got really mad when a user post something that piss me off, it happens from time to time that I write som bad things that would offenced the other poster.
In those circumstances I find it neccesary to be able to change the post to a more polite language. Yes it happens.

It would consider it being bad news if I couldn't make it gone for others to read.
I KNOW adding a cycle through older version would get people reading old threads, because the human nature.

This is maybe just one more crazy idea, but I hope you guys will discuss it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back