Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

adc AC volt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, you're giving almost no useful information, you could rectify it and read the DC, or leave it as AC and detect and read the peaks. In either case, a simple attenuator will bring it down to measureable values.

he is giving all the info that is needed.

you need to attenuate the signal from (230v*1.414) down to 5v and shift its center up from 0 to 2.5v using an op-amp, thjen you can read it with A to D

No, the OP didn't provide the most important detail:

Is the OP willing to tie the PIC's Vss pin to the AC Line, or is the OP looking for an isolated measurement?

Last edited:
No, the OP didn't provide the most important detail:

Is the OP willing to tie the PIC's Vss pin to the AC Line, or is the OP looking for an isolated measurement?

what? he didn't say a thing about isolation, I'm not going to answer questions he didn't ask, if you have another way you think it should be done, spit it out.

Just because the old man says he didn't give enough info doesn't mean you have to try and prove him right :O

Now, the way I said is a good, safe* way it can be done.

(* Safe for the pic)

(* Safe for the pic)

My worry is that someone who needs to ask this question has no business tying a PIC directly to the AC line.

My worry is that someone who needs to ask this question has no business tying a PIC directly to the AC line.

true, but he will have to hook up to ac in some way just to measure it!

you could hook up a 12v trany and then scale that, but you still need to hook the 230 up to it.

he is giving all the info that is needed.

No where near.

you need to attenuate the signal from (230v*1.414) down to 5v and shift its center up from 0 to 2.5v using an op-amp, thjen you can read it with A to D

That's ONE method, specific to wanting to measure the AC waveform along it's entire length - is that what he wants?. If not you've just answered an entirely different question.

No where near.

That's ONE method, specific to wanting to measure the AC waveform along it's entire length - is that what he wants?. If not you've just answered an entirely different question.

FFS, if that doesn't help him THEN he can ask a more specific question, no big deal.

Last edited:
LOL I'm gonna say-
no, he did not provide enough information to give an intelligible answer
and
no, he doesn't sound like he can safely handle 230VAC signals. There's a LOT of things you can do to start a fire, blow up the regulator, blow up caps, electrocute yourself, or blow your PC's serial port out by tying its ground to a somewhat nonzero 220VAC "neutral".

First lesson is NOT about handling 230VAC. It's about how you need to evaluate the task before you and write up the problem before you. And it doesn't matter if you're asking someone else about it or for your own notes on things-to-do. The task must be properly outlined or you will not be able to work on it logically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back