Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Accessing C:/ Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibelectronics

Hi there, whenever I want to access my C drive I a little pop window jumps up and asks me whether I want to open the 'file' with Acrobat, Word, Internet Explorer or Notepad and similar nonsense. What could the problem be?

Thanks

What program(?) are you trying to access c: from?
When you are trying to access c: are you clicking on c:, or someting in it's root directory?

It sounds like the type of file that you are accessing is not recognized by your OS. Does it have a funky extension.

Make sure your C drive is ok.

See if you can access your C drive through your command window.
Start---> Run type command
type C:\
Dir

Last edited:
Hi there, whenever I want to access my C drive I a little pop window jumps up and asks me whether I want to open the 'file' with Acrobat, Word, Internet Explorer or Notepad and similar nonsense. What could the problem be?

Thanks
If you mean you go to MY_COMPUTER and then click on the C drive then this happens. If so I would guess it is a messed up file association. If you are using XP go back to a restore point prior to the problem. Maybe some software install went wrong or some one messed up the registry.

If you mean you go to MY_COMPUTER and then click on the C drive then this happens. If so I would guess it is a messed up file association. If you are using XP go back to a restore point prior to the problem. Maybe some software install went wrong or some one messed up the registry.

That's exactly wat I mean 3v0. By 'restore point prior to the problem' do you mean restarting in 'last known good configuration'?

Thanks

This is a virus but not a serious one.I think its an virus with the *.vbs extension.
That means your virus guard don't know there are plenty viruses inside your PC.

Me & many people got this incident when I use previous versions of virus guards.After installed registered version of kaspersky the problem solved.

Not only the C: drive in future you may locked your other drives as well.

Alternate you can use explorer to view your drives.

So how do I solve the virus problem? I have threatfire and McAfee installed (Threatfire is the more active of the two :)

Hi,
Try this, I've the same problem too and I got this from my friend.
Put these two files into the C drive, execute clean, followed by clean2.
I'm not sure whether they work for you or not, but they remove some trojan in my drives.

Attachments

• clean.zip
    236.1 KB · Views: 103
I'm sure bananasiong means well, but I would recommend that you *not* download that .zip file, and *not* run the two executables contained within it. You have absolutely no way of knowing where they came from, who wrote them, or what the authors' motives were.

In this case, googling for 'clean.exe clean2.exe' turned up only about a hundred pages, mostly in Spanish and Portuguese, all of which report that clean.exe and clean2.exe are part of a virus or worm of some kind (although in this case, the proper term would be "trojan horse").

In short, never, ever try to solve a problem with some unknown software you find on a forum. Use trusted tools such as HiJackThis, Spyware Search and Destroy, etc, and only download them from trusted sources.

Torben

Your a wise man Torben.

I'm sure bananasiong means well, but I would recommend that you *not* download that .zip file, and *not* run the two executables contained within it. You have absolutely no way of knowing where they came from, who wrote them, or what the authors' motives were.

In this case, googling for 'clean.exe clean2.exe' turned up only about a hundred pages, mostly in Spanish and Portuguese, all of which report that clean.exe and clean2.exe are part of a virus or worm of some kind (although in this case, the proper term would be "trojan horse").

In short, never, ever try to solve a problem with some unknown software you find on a forum. Use trusted tools such as HiJackThis, Spyware Search and Destroy, etc, and only download them from trusted sources.

Torben
Yes, that's true :) Never trust any unknown person. Even myself, I have no idea who wrote them. I just got it from my friend and they really kill the trojan in my drives (even McAfee is not able to scan them).
Again, it's normal not to believe anyone unknown :)

Well, so which way to go...?

Can you access c:\ in a DOS box?

Download and run Spyware S & D, Ad-Aware, HiJackThis, etc. Run full scans with all.

Can you see the root directory on c: by getting to it via another root? i.e. Open My Documents and keep clicking the 'parent directory' button. I can't remember what it's called in Windows just now--hitting the backspace key has the same effect.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back