Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About receiving IR by PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TronicBrain

I'm about to make an universal IR Receiver using PICs which contain EEPROM memory to store the code of the pressed button.
And I need to write the code of making the bite that will be written on the eeprom ,
but I do not know if my program should support
all transmitters protocols like Sony SIRC & Sharp Protocol ..ect or there is a single protocol is used in the most of transmitters ?
So I need some information about how to make my program supports a wide range of TV, VCR IR Remotes.

thanks

beginner said:
I'm about to make an universal IR Receiver using PICs which contain EEPROM memory to store the code of the pressed button.
And I need to write the code of making the bite that will be written on the eeprom ,
but I do not know if my program should support
all transmitters protocols like Sony SIRC & Sharp Protocol ..ect or there is a single protocol is used in the most of transmitters ?
So I need some information about how to make my program supports a wide range of TV, VCR IR Remotes.

There are a great many totally different remote control coding schemes in use, the Sony one is particularly easy to - and details are in my IR PIC tutorial. The most popular remote system is the Philips RC5, this is used by many manufacturers.

To try to read and store different remote codes you will need to devise a way to do so. One way is to time the high and low pulses, but even for the simple Sony SIRC's system this will require 25 multi-byte variables for each command!. Stored as proper Sony commands each button only requires one byte for the command, and another for the device code.

Thank you Nigel. :)
my project is to be an ON OFF programmable switch so I think I only need the command bits
Which they are 6 in Philips RC-5 because there will be only one ON/OFF output.
and I got some info about Philips protocol from this page .
**broken link removed**
So now I can start building my code .
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back