Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

741 as a comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can but you need to take a look at op-amp parameters. One is if the high and low output voltages meet your needs. Another is if the op amp has acceptable saturation recovery characteristics- some need a brief period to recover once the output has been driven to the positive or negative rail.

4electros said:
I want to ask if 741 op-amp works as a comparator?! I know that it works as amplifier and for offset DC voltage...
please help!!

Yes, it's a common use of a 741 - although a LOT depends what you want to do with it?, a chip designed as a comparator will be a great deal faster, but a 741 is more than good enough for most purposes.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Yes, it's a common use of a 741 - although a LOT depends what you want to do with it?, a chip designed as a comparator will be a great deal faster, but a 741 is more than good enough for most purposes.

Is the 741 has delay time when toggling from (+Vcc saturation) to (-Vcc saturation)...?
could you please tell me more about the characteristics of this operaitonal amplifier, if that's possible!

Thanks in advance!

4electros said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

Is the 741 has delay time when toggling from (+Vcc saturation) to (-Vcc saturation)...?
could you please tell me more about the characteristics of this operaitonal amplifier, if that's possible!

Have a look at for plenty of information. As I asked before, what are you wanting to do with it?, and for that matter - why use such an old low spec opamp?, unless you have a bucket full of them? :lol:

yeh it can be
as a comparator as well as a window comparator :)
hav used them in my university's lab
nigel is right...he is always right :)
use an ic DESIGNED as a comparator...
it'll give u a better result

4electros said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
Have a look at for plenty of information. As I asked before, what are you wanting to do with it?, and for that matter - why use such an old low spec opamp?, unless you have a bucket full of them? :lol:

for this:
**broken link removed**

For that ANYTHING would be OK, you could probably do it with clockwork :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back