Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16F84s Won't Erase!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_h

I recently bought a PRO16 PIC Programmer (**broken link removed**) and installed PICALLW version 0.15alpha on my xp laptop. The programmer is recognised and communicates with my 16F84s but it will not erase them can any one help me?

sam_h said:
I recently bought a PRO16 PIC Programmer (**broken link removed**) and installed PICALLW version 0.15alpha on my xp laptop. The programmer is recognised and communicates with my 16F84s but it will not erase them can any one help me?

Quasar state that PICALL has problems under XP, also what are you using for a PSU?, it may be struggling switching the PIC to programming mode. Try using two 9V batteries to feed it.

You might also try using WinPicProg instead of PICALL, it has no XP problems.

I tried installing WinPicProg and the driverlinx software. They installed ok,
but to get winpicprog to recognise the programmer i have to open picallw first then winpicpro, this makes the two LEDs turn off and the green one on.

When it came to writing the the PIC it came up saying that it could not verify 0x00 or something like that and failed to program. I tried a random premade .asm file and truned that to a .hex file and that failed too!

As for my PSU I've got a 12v PSU.

PICs require 13V on the /MCLR line for programming...

look on the website you posted for the programmer, it says it requires a power supply of at least 17V DC! (unless using a step-up voltage converter)

as stated above, try using two 9v batteries in series to power it.

sam_h said:
As for my PSU I've got a 12v PSU.

That's way too low! - as Evendude mentions, the specification is 17V to feed the board, this first passes through a bridge rectifier (so you can feed it from AC if you want) which loses 1.4V. It then goes into a 13V regulator, which requires a couple of volts headroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back