Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Zilog Z8 timer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

meratz

I am very new to programming microcontrollers. I was able to figure out the how to use the General I/O ports, but I am having a hard time understanding how the timers work on the chip. The chip's manual does not have an example to show me that this value will cause this to happen. The manual seems to be written in some sort of weird electronicese. None to clear for the newbie. Can anyone write me a simple program in c and walk me through what each value is going to do as a timer function. I am using the Zilog 64k development board with the ZDS II software. I have looked at other programs from the internet, but I still am not following.
I know I should have probably started off with a basic stamp or a pic of some kind, but I was able to get everything necessary for development for $40. The others were almost 3 times as much. I have kids, I can't afford that kind of extravagancy;)

I don't use Z8 but it took me just ten seconds to find the following Application Note from Zilog website. (by typing "Z8 MCU timer" in Google).

It explains the function and various mode of the timer. It also includes C header files and example codes. Have you looked through it yet?

Z8 Timer App Note: www.zilog.com/docs/z8encore/appnotes/an0131.pdf

Download the specification document as well. It does an excellent job of explaining the timers, their modes and the setup details.

Assuming this is a Z8 Encore!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back