1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

zigbee video

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by shobhan03, Aug 4, 2011.

1. shobhan03

shobhan03 New Member

hi,
    so i was under the impression that i could use a zigbee module for wireless transmission of video feed from the camera. but as it turns out, since the zigbee module is a low data rate module, its not advisable for video transmission.

so what is the bottom line ? it cannot be used in anyways for video transmission ? suppose i am not much interested the high quality feed of it, what if i wanted just a rough idea of what is happening in the other part of the room?

what is the best possible outcome of video transmission over zigbee?

2. ronsimpson

ronsimpson Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

You need to keep the data down so: Send high rez really slow, 1 picture every 2 seconds. or Send 100x100 video real time. or Send compresed jtag pictures.

3. shobhan03

shobhan03 New Member

100x100 would be a very small dimensions ! how do i delay the incoming video from a camera ? , as you said,1 pic every 2 sec.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. ronsimpson

Video is a big problem. You need big memory! Not simple.

I know if a man who uses a PIC and a video camera for motion detecting. He captures about 16 pilels/frame. B&W It takes 16 frams to get his 16x16 picture.

I am playing with a home made 22x22 b&w camera. Mainly for motion detection and avoiding objects. Use where the "computer" has limited memory.

There are JPEG camera that have RS232 output. I think that will work. Camera connects to Zigbee. The data will come at the baud rate. You will get a picture whenever the data is sent.

6. shobhan03

shobhan03 New Member

ok thats sounds good, will check out for such camera.

7. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

I have said camera... JPEG out... 160x160 colour snapshots.... When sending via cable, a reasonable moving picture can be obtained.. Via Xbee (nearly same) there was a bit of latency as the Xbee ( zigbee ) module sends the data in 160 byte chunks.. I was informed at the time to use two Xbee modules side by side and transmit... well pipelined so to speak. I never took it much further..... You can change the data packets internally but didn't resolve anything...

Hope this helps.

8. ronsimpson

Thanks Ian,
    Where did you get the camera? model number?

9. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

Its a 4D labs camera.. I bought it from cool components There is a TTL derivative Here ... Mine has an RS232 level shifter onboard