Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Zener diode test current, Izt help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MbTaNk16

I'm a beginner at electronics and I wanted to buy a 5.1V zener diode with a Pd of 500mW. I've noticed that the test current (Izt) of these diodes are either 50uA, 5mA, or 20mA. I have two questions:

1) What exactly is zener test current?

2) What's the significance of this and how would it affect an electronic circuit?

5V1 Zener

Most zener diodes 400mW rating, work properly at the rated zenervoltage at a 5 to 10 mA current flow through the zener.

Say you have a 12 volts supply, have the series resistor to allowe a 10 mA currentflow through the zener.

For a 5.1 volt zener 6.9 volts has to be dissipated in a resistor.
From U=I*R 6.9=0.01*R therefore R = 690 ohms.

A 680 ohms E12 ¼ Watt resistor will suffice.

You can use the zener voltage, as a fixed reference voltage, which will remain reasonably stable with power supply voltages ranging from about 8 to 18 Volts in the 12 volts example.

Bear in mind not to exceed the zener power rating and try to keep the zener current within 5 - 15 mA range.

MbTaNk16 said:
1) What exactly is zener test current?
2) What's the significance of this and how would it affect an electronic circuit?

The voltage across a zener diode is not constant but depends on the current flowing in the diode.

This effect is especially noticable in those low voltage zeners of a few volts. For example, a 3.6V zener in my component box have a breakdown voltage of only 2.95V at less than 1mA current, 3.3V at ~3mA and 3.6V at about 5mA or more.

Therefore to specify a zener diode, the manufacturer will typically use a certain constant current to test them.

For an user, if you want the zener to give you a fairly stable and accurate voltage, you have to supply the zener with a stable current.

A zener diode that has a test voltage at a low current has a much higher voltage at a higher current.
A zener diode with a high test current might not regulate the voltage at a low current.

EDITED

Last edited:
Hi all,
Do u know about zener ?? Zener has internal resistance and other action,so could u tell me all bout this,please?? I'm welling to know, who could answer to me? And i hope so,thanks!!

Hi all,
Do u know about zener ?? Zener has internal resistance and other action,so could u tell me all bout this,please?? I'm welling to know, who could answer to me? And i hope so,thanks!!

Read this link or **broken link removed**.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back