Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Zener Diode - LT Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
i'd like to create a zener diode with Vthr = 420 mV, Is = 4uA
and I(zener) = Is*(exp(V(zener)/Vth)-1)... i can't figure out how to do anything like this. I created a custom current soure that I thought obeyed these properties but it seems to output current constantly so that can't be right. Any thoughts on how to approach this?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote

Hi all,
i'd like to create a zener diode with Vthr = 420 mV, Is = 4uA
and I(zener) = Is*(exp(V(zener)/Vth)-1)... i can't figure out how to do anything like this. I created a custom current soure that I thought obeyed these properties but it seems to output current constantly so that can't be right. Any thoughts on how to approach this?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
I≈Is(e^(V/Vth))
Is=I/e^(V/Vth)
I=4uA, V=.42, Vth≈.026

Is≈3.86e-13

Load the .ASC file below into LTspice and run it.

EDIT: keep in mind that this isn't a zener. It's a diode. The impedance will be high, i.e., if the current changes, the voltage will change significantly. You can run a V-I sweep on it to see what I mean.

Attachments

• Diode equation.asc
    611 bytes · Views: 549
Last edited:
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear as to what behavior I needed. I essentially have two zener diodes facing opposite direction with different Is and Vs specs, in parallel with a capacitor and essentially a voltage source... However, Is is dependent on the voltage across the zener diode at any given point. That is, I can't just assign a voltage. I guess I can assign Is as an equation instead of the constant that you assigned it to? Attached is the actual problem i'm attempting to solve.

Attachments

• circuit diagram.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 562
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear as to what behavior I needed. I essentially have two zener diodes facing opposite direction with different Is and Vs specs, in parallel with a capacitor and essentially a voltage source... However, Is is dependent on the voltage across the zener diode at any given point. That is, I can't just assign a voltage. I guess I can assign Is as an equation instead of the constant that you assigned it to? Attached is the actual problem i'm attempting to solve.
I don't see any problem statement on the attachment, and I don't understand your description of the problem. Maybe you can describe it better, or maybe one of the other members can understand what you are saying.

Circuit Diagram - with description

Sorry, this one should make things clearer. The fact that the current is in units current density isn't significant, it simply mean the resulting voltage is in terms of voltage density, so it's not relevant to the modelling of this circuit.

Sorry, this one should make things clearer. The fact that the current is in units current density isn't significant, it simply mean the resulting voltage is in terms of voltage density, so it's not relevant to the modelling of this circuit.
Sorry, I don't have a clue as to what the question is.

EDIT: OK, I got it. Let me think on it.

Last edited:
How about this:

Attachments

• behavioral zener sim sch.PNG
    behavioral zener sim sch.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 716
  • behavioral zener sim VI curve.PNG
    behavioral zener sim VI curve.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 518
  • behavioral zener.asc
    792 bytes · Views: 442