Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

z8F042A interfacing to nokia 3310 for SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 k of memory should be plenty.

RAM could be more of a problem. It is easier to debug code if you can first write the whole message into RAM, and then send it. If you have less RAM, you can generate the message as it is transmitted to the phone, but that is more difficult to test.

Use google.
If you want help with programming the Z8 Encore, try the yahoo groups mailing list for the Z8 Encore.
It sounds like you have absolutely no experience programming this microcontroller at all. If that's the case, go through some basic experiments/exercises; lighting an LED, flashing intervals LED, basic UART communication...
The datasheet is very thorough and describes all the hardware functions of the microcontroller. There is a number of example programs on the Zilog site that you can try to play with or modify.

The datasheet will help a great deal.

I'd say you are attempting something pretty difficult if you've never programmed these things before. If you have experience on other uC's, then it is just a matter of learning the similar features of this one. I'm having a feeling that you haven't done this before.

Start by reading the datasheet! Come here and ask questions if you've read a section over and over but still don't understand. I don't think many people here work with those uC's, but we can still probably answer general theory questions.

tnx for the advice, im gaining knowledge but still has a long way to go,

how about using software loop delays instead of timers?

which is better? tnx

Well Jvinecent:

I normally would use a software loop instead of a timer for a very short delay. You could create a ten minute software loop, but your code won't really be able to do anything else while it's looping. This is different from the on board timers, which will operate in the background and can be programmed to interrupt anything else going on once they "overflow."

ok, for the mean time i wanted to use software loop delay becoz i still dont know how

to utilize the on-board timers,

im still deciding on my message sending intervals, either for every 1 min or 2 mins

my project is about monitoring and detection of forest fire... it sends a temp and

humidity reading for a determined time interval.

How would an exact 1min software loop delay source code look? for 2min?

Jvincent:

I don't want to be discouraging to you. I really hate to do it, because I once had no knowledge and I still have a lot to learn.

This entire GSM thing is something I'm just now about to dive in to, and I have been hard at this electronics stuff for 8 months. I started by reading two books. One was about a 900 page book covering everything from the fundamentals of Ohms law to digital circuitry. The other book was a couple hundred pages that gave lots of sample code for the PIC. In addition, I've had the advantage of programming with PICs and looking at LOTS of sample code, as the PIC is much more popular to hobbyist than the uC you are using. I've spent hours/days reading datasheets and I've made at least a hundred posts between this forum and others asking different (specific) questions. Maybe I'm a little slow in the head, but despite my "experience" I'd still be challenged for a solid weekend getting it up and running, and I feel fairly comfortable with the features of mid-range PICS (though not the enhanced ones, heh)

What I'm saying here is that as boring as it seems, and as exciting as it is to just get into your project, it is an absolute necessity to put in the time to learn the basics. Quite frankly you can't expect to not know what a timer is and not no how to code your uC, and expect to get a GSM module to work. I wish you the best of luck in this, and I hope you succeed with it -- but learn some basics!

ok.... hehehe time is against me.... deadline is fast approaching... ill do my best....

wish me luck... also Good luck to u!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back