Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Z-80 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

resystor

Hi. 14 years ago I built a Z-80 based computer called the "MIZER" at Vancouver Community College in canada. I'm trying to get it to work again. Can someone tell me what software I can use on my windows 98 to interface with this. It has a serial port no USB (yet).

I'm assuming, base on what you say, that it isn't working? Or are you just trying to develope with it again? Since this processor is still in production, check Zilogs web site for emulators and IDEs that support it. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by using serieal to interface with windows. Does this boards have a built in debugger? What was is used for? Please expound on what you want.

Hi. 14 years ago I built a Z-80 based computer called the "MIZER" at Vancouver Community College in canada. I'm trying to get it to work again. Can someone tell me what software I can use on my windows 98 to interface with this. It has a serial port no USB (yet).

If this is the same as or related to MSX MIZER there is an active support group on the web. Or not take a look.

When I ran it before we had to use a program called HEX from Microsoft to change the computer language and then a program called Procomm to send the data from the PC through the serial port into the RAM memory of the Z-80computer. I guess I need another program like Procomm that will run on windows to communicate through the serial port to my Z-80. Will Microsoft Access do this? thx

You compiled or assembled the program and converted it to an HEX file.
Then you used procom to send the hex file to the bootloader on the target.

Standard stuff.

Do you have the language tools or know anything about the monitor program on the target/Z80 board.

Well in Win98 you can boot into real mode. Then you can write the program in "Debug.exe" and run it.

When I ran it before we had to use a program called HEX from Microsoft to change the computer language and then a program called Procomm to send the data from the PC through the serial port into the RAM memory of the Z-80computer. I guess I need another program like Procomm that will run on windows to communicate through the serial port to my Z-80. Will Microsoft Access do this? thx

hi,
If you are running Win98, get a copy of QBasic 4.5 and write a Comms program.

A QB4.5 program will run OK in Win98/XP etc

If you need any help with QB45, just say.:)

EDIT:
https://www.qbcafe.net/qbc/english/download.shtml

https://www.qbcafe.net/qbc/english/download/compiler/qbasic_compiler.shtml ; this is QB4.5

https://www.qbcafe.net/qbc/english/download/qbasic_library/games_graphics.shtml ; QB Library

Last edited:
Is there a reason you have to use this computer ?

You can start with PIC programming in assembly or C for a very low cost.

With the PIC you will be able to get exclent help here.

If you have to stay with the Z80 we need to figure out which ROM monitor it uses. Most have a human readable interface. Start by hooking the target up to a PC and use hyperterm to see/watch as the ROM monitor identifies itself as it starts up.

Still much better to switch to a PIC!

Is there a reason you have to use this computer ?

You can start with PIC programming in assembly or C for a very low cost.

With the PIC you will be able to get exclent help here.

If you have to stay with the Z80 we need to figure out which ROM monitor it uses. Most have a human readable interface. Start by hooking the target up to a PC and use hyperterm to see/watch as the ROM monitor identifies itself as it starts up.

Still much better to switch to a PIC!

I agree. The Z80 doesn't really provide much help by way of development tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back