Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your thoughts. Should Micro$oft buy Yahoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I just thought this should be opened for discussion on this forum.

What are your thoughts on the possible merger of Yahoo and m$?

Personally, i think it is going to make Google even stronger. M$ will just find SOME minute way to screw it up and make yahoo even worse than it already is.

i dont like yahoo, i hate there search engine and i dont like there email setup, i haven't used anything yahoo in about 10 years.

and those 2 things pissed me off big time, so no i dont think they should buy it.

I think MS should diversify and get out of the software business maybe expand their chip hardware development lab.

they only buy it because they can't buy google (to expensive)
i just calculated what you could do with the money they are willing to give for it
it comes down that you can pay up the whole econemy of cambodia for about 22 years

Robert-Jan

If MS doesn't buy Yahoo, WalMart sure could. WalMart could prolly buy Microsoft!.

3v0 said:
There is a rumor that Walmart is working on a deal to sell windows ME. :p

Will that be the stripped down, made in China version? Can't wait.

Actually, my first thought when I saw this thread was that it was misplaced. But then, the "Do you believe in God" thread was getting a little long.

John

jpanhalt said:
Will that be the stripped down, made in China version? Can't wait.

Actually, my first thought when I saw this thread was that it was misplaced. But then, the "Do you believe in God" thread was getting a little long.

John

LOL .... As much as I dislike Microsoft's past business behavior I am not in favor of its downfall. It employs a lot of people, pays a lot of taxes, and brings a not small quantity of cash back into the US. Anyone on this side of the pond should keep these things in mind.

In all seriousness (I don't own MicroSoft stock), I think MicroSoft is trying to avoid the same error the railroads made. That is, railroads thought they were in the business of running trains. They ignored other developments in transportation until it was too late. My guess is that MicroSoft is simply staying with its commitment to information, as opposed to simply software development.

Yahoo may not be the best, but then, neither was Word (Word still isn't). But look what has happened to its main competitor, WordPerfect. MS owns a significant stake in Google and if it controls Yahoo, who knows what will happen. John

First thing they will do it convert it to Windows Vista. :)

They did that with hotmail and took them down. :D

If Microsoft can make yahoo better, more power to them. I use Google, have not touched yahoo is many years as well.

Microsoft failed to get in to the search engine business.

Yahoo is a failing search engine business.

I don't see how you can put two bad apples together to make a good apple.

Hero999 said:
Microsoft failed to get in to the search engine business.

Yahoo is a failing search engine business.

I don't see how you can put two bad apples together to make a good apple.

Excellent point!

I spent many years in an administrative role, and it never ceased to amaze me how frequently that "logic" was followed. In one instance, for example, our company was visiting other companies in the same business that had failed in a specific new type of endeavor. In essence we asked, What did you do wrong? Ostensibly, knowing what they had done wrong would allow us to avoid making the same mistakes.

Being new to administration, I asked: 1) If they really knew what they did wrong, why did they do it; and 2) Wouldn't it make more sense to ask companies who had succeeded what they did right? Unfortunately, and unknown to me, the cutie who was doing the study was the married CEO's girlfriend. :eek: I got off with a warning from a third party. I also learned to keep my mouth shut about such dumb moves in the future.

I suspect many people at MS may see the same thing. Maybe MS can pull it off simply by the weight of its presence in the marker, just like the Word vs. WordPerfect victory. John

MS has already put a lot of work and money into the search engine buisiness. Their search engine is 3rd rate.

Google is free and only as far away as www.google.com. Not quite the same thing as having to buy and install Word Perfect.

It has been my experiance that if a management team fails with their own product, they will fail with a purchased product too. If that makes any sense. I guess I am saying a good management team can turn a pigs ear into a silk purse. A bad team can turn a silk purse into a pigs ear.

And you don't hear the term "Yahoo! it", or "MSN it". No.

you hear "Google it". Isn't "Google" also a verb now? I don't think yahoo and M$N are verbs (unless you start swearing, then they can be used as creative verbs... :D)

Face it. Google is cool and Bill wants one.

I get there with a simple google.com (or opening a browser), firefox will just let me type stuff in the URL area and if it is not a URL will go to google for me. I like that :D

Like Hero said.. 0+0= 0 (well he said apples, but it all adds up the same).

So when can I connect to yahoo2008.com or yahoovista.com or winyahoo.com? Or will I only be able to afford yahoohome.com.

They will just change the names all together. It is time for microsoft to patent World Domination 2008 (basic, home, premium, ultimate, etc)

Either that or it will be winhoo.com... :D

Marks,

You forgot World Domination 2008 Business.. That is the same software but the cost is 5 fold.

Winhoooooo.. Can not wait for the commercials.

Wouldn't it be World Business Domination 2008?

Microsoft should spend the money on making a properly working OS, something bult from the ground up not another mashed about version of the previous OS with a shiny UI.

What about Google becoming the 2nd Micro$ost in the next 10 years?

If it is not Micro$oft, who has the power to "prevent" Google from becoming the 2nd Micro$oft?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back