Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your Countries flags rated (I've added my cities too Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueroomelectronics said:
The UK flag is there, is their a different flag for South Wales?

Yes Wales is a country that is part of the UK. England have their own flag, Scotland have theirs and we have ours. Here's our Welsh flag, which obviously I think is the best :p

**broken link removed**

Brian

Almost looks like a wall decoration at a Chinese buffet!
BTW why aren't the Welsh referred to as Wales instead?

Last edited:
HiTech said:
Almost looks like a wall decoration at a Chinese buffet!
BTW why aren't the Welsh referred to as Wales instead?

Why aren't the Americans reffered to as America?! America is the country, Americans are the people who are born / live in that country. Similarly, Wales is the country, and the Welsh are the people who are from that country.

Nigel - I can't even count the number of English flags I see stuck to people's cars or in their home windows, especially during a sporting event. And I've seen the English flag used as a symbol to identify English participants in sporting events, too. Obviously, if the sporting event is made up of participants picked from the "pool" of the entire UK, then usually the British flag is used.

Brian

Brian Hoskins said:
Nigel - I can't even count the number of English flags I see stuck to people's cars or in their home windows, especially during a sporting event. And I've seen the English flag used as a symbol to identify English participants in sporting events, too.

They can't stop the public flying it, but it's not allowed on public buildings - apparently the PC brigade consider it 'racist'?. We can fly the Welsh flag on public buildings though!.

I think it's probably because England is seen as "Great Britain" and the rest of us just come under England's umbrella. Because of this, it's frowned upon for England to support an English flag on public buildings - as if it's an insult to the other countries of the UK.

I have to say I don't agree with that though. Everyone should be able to show a bit of pride for their country if they want to. If I see someone flying an England flag it doesn't make me feel in the least bit angry or irritated at all. If they're from England, why shouldn't they feel proud of that if they want to? As long as we beat them at Rugby I couldn't care what flag they fly! ;)

It's all part of the silly political correctness thing isn't it.

Brian

hey fellas
have a look at my country's flag..
-the only non sq/rectangular flag in the WHOLE WORLD!!..
pretty creative ..huh?;)
**broken link removed**

eaterbugs said:
hey fellas
have a look at my country's flag..
-the only non sq/rectangular flag in the WHOLE WORLD!!..
pretty creative ..huh?;)

What's the difference between a flag and a pennant? To some nit pickers, a flag must be rectangular (or square).
Ohio draws some distinction as being the only state in the USA that does not have a flag. It has a pennant. :D John

jpanhalt said:
What's the difference between a flag and a pennant? To some nit pickers, a flag must be rectangular (or square).
Ohio draws some distinction as being the only state in the USA that does not have a flag. It has a pennant. :D John
Well Nepal(my country ;) ) being a historic 1 with a very ancinet past has carried on the same pennant (actually itz 2 pennants ..lolz) until now.....
note: ws nice 2 know about OHIO though..:D

Yeh, but we don't have any mountains in Ohio. I have never heard the explanation why it isn't rectangular. Yours is quite attractive, symbolic, and unique. John

Brian Hoskins said:
Why aren't the Americans reffered to as America?! America is the country, Americans are the people who are born / live in that country. Similarly, Wales is the country, and the Welsh are the people who are from that country.Brian

But American is a derivative of America. Welsh sounds and is spelled completely different than Wales. Sort of like Danish are to Denmark. Even English is close to England. Yup, I think your ancestors didn't want to be referred to as wales.

jpanhalt said:
Yeh, but we don't have any mountains in Ohio. I have never heard the explanation why it isn't rectangular. Yours is quite attractive, symbolic, and unique. John
well i guess it is related with smthing that dates back before the history itself:D ..back then there were no need for the flags to be esp. rectngular in shape.. pennant is actually an ancient form of flags(or at least thatz what wikipedia told me;) )...and as it ws never colonised by ny1 there ws no need to revise the flag and i guess thatz why it remained the way it was..:)

HiTech said:
But American is a derivative of America. Welsh sounds and is spelled completely different than Wales. Sort of like Danish are to Denmark. Even English is close to England. Yup, I think your ancestors didn't want to be referred to as wales.

Wales. Welsh. Hmmmm, I've never thought of it like that - because I've grown up here the association that Welsh people come from Wales seems natural. Anyway they're vaguely similar - they both begin with a W!

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back