Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

you guys crack me up

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicknewbie

I am new to this forum and I cannot believe how many people just post "give me this, or give me that!" anyway, it's funny reading everyones response.
As I said I am new here and I searched and read the forums for the topics I am needing help in. I wanted to try to find the answer on my own first. I am in need of something I know is going to be over my head, but I am going to take a crack at it. First of all, I downloaded a schematic that allows a pc to control up to 8 devices (appliances). The project mentioned try to use c or c+ for the software to control the parallel port controller. I was wondering if anyone could suggest another program that I may look into. It's been 10 years since learning any type of programming and even then it was basic and pascal. I want to try to make it simple for a common user to control devices with there pc.
The 2nd area I am in need of is voice recongnition. I have downloaded some links I found here and I am in the process of going through them. I was wondering how difficult it would be to automate a home. I guess just basic (more like advanced) things such as being able to say "on lights" and to have the kitchen lights turn on. This area is over my head, but I would like to try to understand the basic principals. Any suggested reading? Is this too far fetched for a beginner? thanks for allowing me to join and post to this forum

Because there is so much available on the market not much is beyond the beginner anymore. You could look into commercial voice recognition software like Dragon Naturally Speaking. I'm sure there are other software products on the market more geared towards a limited voice command set rather than voice dictation. I'm sure there are plenty of voice recongnition engines out there that only require a licensing fee to be able to use in your own custom software and it's more cost and time effective to use existing software than it is to try to build your own from scratch.

P.S. =) Welcome to the forums, and get used to the 'do my homework for me' posts, there are always a lot of them. Plenty of good discussions too though.

There are speech recognition chips, might be another way to go, since you only need a few words. Unless the PC will be used for other things, like timing, climate control, tracking power usages, closing the window shades, mixing drinks at the wet bar...

**broken link removed**
from 2001

**broken link removed**

Might be wrong, but think I saw something about Windows Vista and speech recognition. Personally, I'm dreading another Windows upgrade. Figure, I'll get another 2-3 years off this PC, before getting forced into it. It's about 6 years old, so kind of getting near the end of its compatiability.

My favorite lights on method is still just flicking a switch where I know the one for the lights is. If you've lived in your home for more than a few months you're going to know exactly where every light switch is in the dead of dark.

hi nick.

From microsoft get Visual Basic, I believe its now free, also download their Voice/Speech recognition software, lots of free programs.

If your using Win XP, get inpout32.dll from the web, free.

Controlling external modules, [lights etc] using VB to drive the PC's parallel port is fairly simple.
You will of course require a external driver board at the end of the port cable.

When you download home control projects from the web, avoid the ones that do not have mains isolation.

I have done a number of home projects using voice recognition using the above software.

The same VB and S/W can be used to control your PC

Last edited:
Nick,

I've used the free JustBASIC interpreter for some simple applications using the serial port to control PIC microcontroller slave devices (not sure if supports the parallel port, sorry).

When I click on the push-buttons in the example below, you hear a click and the lighted switch will toggle from off-to-on or from on-to-off.

Good luck with your project. Mike

Attachments

• Button Console.JPG
    Button Console.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
hi mike,

Its Nick whose the OP, many thanks for the thought!.

Regards

Thanks All

A wealth of info for me to sort through. I mentioned on lights, thinking the work on-may take the software to the portion that handles "on" control. Off lights might take the subroutine to the other direction. I guess I answered my own question, lights on could take the software to the lights subroutine versus shades up(on) or down(off)-my just use to the on/off states of what I am reading. Thanks again, I need a couple of weeks to read through the posts-look forward to hearing from all-nick

Thanks All

A wealth of info for me to sort through. I mentioned on lights, thinking the work on-may take the software to the portion that handles "on" control. Off lights might take the subroutine to the other direction. I guess I answered my own question, lights on could take the software to the lights subroutine versus shades up(on) or down(off)-my just use to the on/off states of what I am reading. trying to get into the technical mode of thinking. Thanks again, I need a couple of weeks to read through the posts-look forward to hearing from all-nick

Mike said:
Nick,

I've used the free JustBASIC interpreter for some simple applications using the serial port to control PIC microcontroller slave devices (not sure if supports the parallel port, sorry).

When I click on the push-buttons in the example below, you hear a click and the lighted switch will toggle from off-to-on or from on-to-off.

I use Liberty BASIC, which was designed by the same guy as Just BASIC. They're essentially the same program, except Liberty has more features like API control, parallel port support, and it costs about $50 for a registered version (but you can download a trial version first for a month or so). Just BASIC, I think, is freeware. Both Liberty and Just BASIC are super easy to use (Liberty BASIC is the program used to explain programming in "Programming for Dummies"), and both have excellent forums for community support. I'm not a sales rep, just a satisfied customer!
www.justbasic.com
www.libertybasic.com
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Mike said:
Nick,

How do you draw that stuff in Excel?

Just go for a voice recognition IC or something prebuilt. I asked how some guys managed to pull that off on their 4rth year project and that's what they said they did.

"Light on" is so boring. I prefer "illuminate" and "delluminate".

Trilogi5.32 (educational free software) Dont know if this is what your looking for, I use it for industrial automation but I imagine it can be used for other purposes. Are you custom wiring a home for this automation ? Or are you using solid state devices in place of manual devices ? Good Luck, jb

Someone's been watching too many Stallone movies. Good one though =)
Be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back