Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

You cannot have Boost PFC running off square wave mains of a UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you agree You cannot have a Boost PFC running off square wave mains of a UPS?
When the mains fails, and the UPS kicks in...if it is kicking out square wave mains, then the Boost PFC stage must be totally switched out, and an SMPS thats designed to run off square wave mains must be switched in...do you agree?

Attachments

• UPS output voltage.jpg
    UPS output voltage.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 184
It entirely depends on the implementation of the PFC.

A PFC power supply is a complicated device, and it could have been designed with a square wave in mind, or it could have been designed to only work with a sine wave. As there are so many ways that it could be made, it's not really possible to have a blanket statement that it won't work.

It's quite possible that a PFC power supply will be quite happy with a square wave. With zero voltage input, the power supply can't do anything. When the voltage is steady, for a few ms each half cycle, the PFC power supply may well behave exactly as it would near the peak of a sinewave, so it could work fine.

On the other hand, there may be some input sensing circuit that will not regard a square wave as a valid input, so it'll do nothing and not work at all. I've seen that with a laptop power supply running from an inverter. I don't think the power supply contained PFC. On some inverters it just would not turn on, and would behave as though there was no power at all. I think that the power supply would be detecting the periods of no power, and they were too long. I bypassed the problem by running the power supply from the DC link voltage of the inverter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back