Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Yet another unknown component.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fezder

Hi!

Well, title says pretty much, i found this component, that big black block ax-something?
trouble is simple, i don't have slightest glue what is it, and google 'aint helping much.
So, if any of you wiser could tell or at least guess? My brain is currently kickin' empty with this....
Sure, i can live with it if you don't know, but nothing wrong with question no?
Thanks!

IMG_0660.jpg

Hello Fez

I don't know. BTW...what is it from???

Regards,
tvtech

Hmm, good point, it does have many leads, so it could be.

Tech, it's from 3~ motor speed contoller, from some sort of logic board.

well sadly i don't have board anymore, but i don't remember anything that relay had similar, or then this would be pretty strange relay....
i'll take photo from pinside thought, if it helps any bit

see the attachment for pinside
IMG_0661.jpg

I still think that it is a relay.

Measure the resistance between the pins.
Between two of the pins you should find a resistance of a few hundred ohms, that will be the coil.
There will be a short circuit between two pairs of pins.
Two of the pins will be open circuit. It is a a two pole change over relay.
One of the pins will connect to the metal case.

JimB
(Who hopes that he has not just made a fool of himself:eek:)

jim, how come you would have made fool of yourself? :D
err metal case? it's made of plastic....i made one note, it's quite heavy for its size

I took one relay from a board I canibalized few weeks ago and was similar to that one. Pins seem to be usually, near the ends.

err metal case? it's made of plastic
There is one pin too many for a two pole C/O relay, I was guessing that the extra pin was to earth the metal case - for screening.

My next thought is that it could be a latching relay.

JimB

First hit or so; Reed relay: **broken link removed**

Now it could be dual coil, SPST or SPDT. In any event, I'd guess that pins edge to edge, at least two will be shorted and at least two will have 100's of ohms resistance.

Oh my, seems i have to study this block bit more, never heard of reed relay...

using 400f-48-2c
it is a 48 volt reed relay with
DPDT(2 Form C) contacts

I tested it with magnet, and it indeed seems to be reed relay! now then it's interesting to find out pinout....thanks so much for help, almost threw this thing to bin other day :D

He means the frame
Not really, I did mean the case.
I have seen relays of this general shape, with a metal case. Going from the original picture I thought that the case was metal, painted black.

JimB

No problem Chief!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back