Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

ok but i want a manner that is less expensive a floppy drive costs 10euro's brandly new..

Ok, i'm gonna use a IDE CD_ROM is this gonna work..???

TKS

TKS said:
ok but i want a manner that is less expensive a floppy drive costs 10euro's brandly new..

Ok, i'm gonna use a IDE CD_ROM is this gonna work..???

TKS

Again, where are you going to store all the data? - disk operating systems don't allow you to read a single byte, only complete tracks or sectors - it's not just FDD that work in that way.

...If u use a HDD i'm just reading that you can read it sector by sector..

and that are 256 words (1 word = 2bytes) soow you are reading 512bytes

per sector..??

is it still not possible..??

TKS

maybe this says you something..

https://hem.passagen.se/communication/ide.html

don't you know many people making MP3 players using cd-roms and HDD's... the most of them use avr's..

but there are a pair who use a pic..

www.mp3projects.com is down..but there earlier where all te projects and their sites.. :(

Re: ...

TKS said:
...If u use a HDD i'm just reading that you can read it sector by sector..

and that are 256 words (1 word = 2bytes) soow you are reading 512bytes

per sector..??

is it still not possible..??

Where are you going to store 512 bytes in a 16F84?, or even a 16F877?.

maybe this says you something..

https://hem.passagen.se/communication/ide.html

don't you know many people making MP3 players using cd-roms and HDD's... the most of them use avr's..

but there are a pair who use a pic..

www.mp3projects.com is down..but there earlier where all te projects and their sites.. :(

I think they probably use external memory, some of the larger PIC's do allow that, and you can actually connect external RAM to the ports of a 16F877, and address it manually from the port pins.

Perhaps you could explain what your project is actually going to do?, and why you feel the need to make it customer upgradeable?.

If it's only an occasional upgrade, you could mount the processor on a plug-in board, and simply send a replacement board - presumably these upgrades would be chargeable?, and you could charge a lot more for an upgraded PCB!. If it's a frequent upgrade, perhaps you need to reconsider your design? - although, depending what your project is, there may be a good reason for it.

Try looking on the PICList here
, you may find it useful.

18F442

40Mhz // 10Mhz

• Linear program memory addressing to 32 Kbytes <== is this the _____________________________external ram you are talking about..??

• Linear data memory addressing to 1.5 Kbytes

On-Chip Program Memory
FLASH (bytes) # Single Word Instructions On-Chip RAM (bytes) Data ROM (bytes)

PIC18F442 16K 8192 768 256

hope you can give me the answer and can tell me where to look at..

you have to imagine my world,

don't have any friend who has knowledge about this
and @ school i do mechanical..

soow i lova guys for helping me..

TKS

:idea:

How about using Multimedia/SecureDigital cards like used in camera's etc, the data sheets for these are open source and they use a standard bus, very easy to use (can't remember the name, not ic'2 the other 1! 3 wire-job).

Oh and they are cheap :wink:

connecting a compactflash card to a pic can be done...
in fact, its been done numerous time for mp3 players. search the net

ok...thats better news...

how fast will the transfer rate will be..??

and owjah.

is there then any maximum storage cap..??

TKS

Re: 18F442

TKS said:
40Mhz // 10Mhz

• Linear program memory addressing to 32 Kbytes <== is this the _____________________________external ram you are talking about..??

• Linear data memory addressing to 1.5 Kbytes

On-Chip Program Memory
FLASH (bytes) # Single Word Instructions On-Chip RAM (bytes) Data ROM (bytes)

PIC18F442 16K 8192 768 256

hope you can give me the answer and can tell me where to look at..

I've never used any 18 series PIC's (and don't currently have any plans to) - you really ought to look on the PICList, and probably sign up to their mailing list.

Re: ok...thats better news...

TKS said:
how fast will the transfer rate will be..??

and owjah.

is there then any maximum storage cap..??

TKS

Speed depends on what you want to do with the data , if you just want to read it from CF and immediately pass it on to another device then a 40Mhz pic should be able to handle 25 - 50 kb /sec or so...
If the data needs processing then this drops significantly...

CF cards can go up to gigabytes

pic mem..

but i posted already a bit of the data sheet..

don't know wy you are all sow short in the typing..

a pic only works if he can communicate clear..

TKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back