Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

YAY!!!!!! I got my first LED to blink!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I'm just excited...

It took me an hour and a half to get MPLAB working (it kept complaining...)

I used a PIC16f877A and bill's "hello world" poster.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congratulations!

Your next project is to connect it to a LCD and a 1 Wire interface to communicate with a RS232 Port :p

(I dunno what I said)

Marks256 said:
I'm just excited...

WOW, finally! :D

Marks256 said:
I'm just excited...

Your first program is always exciting. What was MPLAB complaining about?

Nah, the next step is to see if i can make it blink on my own... :)

It would be nice if i had a tutorial, though... :eek: (free...)

blueroomelectronics said:
What was MPLAB complaining about?

Most of it was my fault...
First i had my ICD2 plugged into Com2, instead of Com1. Then MPLAB found it on it on com2, and decided to use it. I didn't have FIFO disabled on Com2. Once i switched ports, it connected fine, but then i couldn't figure out why it would download the program, but wouldn't run... Then i realized i didn't build all. Next it complained because when i copied out of the PDF, it didn't copy the tabs, so i had to put those in... Then it errored out because the file path was longer than 62 characters (wtf!?)

But after that, it blinked... Then i had to go to work... :(

Yes, i know i have asked this MANY times before, but can someone point me to a good PIC tutorial. I only have 16f877a's, 16f84a's, and 16f887's...

I would do nigel's tutorials, but i don't have that PIC (and i am too lazy to get more free samples...)

Well an LCD is much more complex than an LED, but you're right. Learn the chip from the inside out. Lots of neat stuff in there. I would try a pushbutton next, denouncing one can be an interesting experiment.

Marks256 since you're running an ICD2 try to modify the program as suggested in the poster to use the debugger. It's an incredible tool and will make learning the PIC much easier.

Tell me what would you want to do next? Perhaps I can find a tutorial. Two LEDs? A buzzer, motor, pushbutton, relay? What would interest you?

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
Well an LCD is much more complex than an LED, but you're right. Learn the chip from the inside out. Lots of neat stuff in there. I would try a pushbutton next, denouncing one can be an interesting experiment.

Oh yes I also caught to this debouncing trap when I started PICs.Its real interesting.

I have seen in many basic PIC courses contains this sections.Finally all courses does the same.Data sheet has half of them :D

*Turn on a led
*Blink a led introducing (delays)
*Led moving both sides (left & right)
*Press SW to toggle the led (introduction to debounce)
*driving SSD (introduction to multiplex)
*indirect addressing (ex shows how to clear the ram in a bank)
*interrupts (using TMR0 as an first example)
*Introduction to AD (shows how to setup AD channels & how get a sample)
*PWM (introduce to fade a LED)
*DC motors (taking a stepper as an example)
*LCD (8 bit mode) – (shows hello world in the display)

Very few courses dealing with advanced techniques or they continues the rest of the methods in their advanced courses.

Last edited:
I love ME, I have their EasyPic5 Protoboard, and it is the mother of all pic boards I have to say! I also enjoy their high-level compilers, specifically pascal. They have a lot of good stuff I have to say.

-BaC

Pommie said:
Here is an online book that is excellent.

Mike.

Well, i would like to start with C. yes, yes, i know i should start assembly, but i would like to get some uC applications working, so i know i can use them. Plus i already know most of the basics of C, so it would be easier for me... Then i would like to learn asm, of course.

I am not sure what i will do next. When i learn a programming language, i learn from example, then i hack the examples to do other things. that is how i learn. I can't seem to find very many C tutorials for PICs on the net. And the ones i do find only show one example for the whole tutorial. I like to take code, cut and paste, and then modify. As i said before, that is how i learn.

I guess if i had to, i would be willing to pay a bit of money (paypal) for a good tutorial. Maybe even a kit or something.

I have a few awesome project ideas that i would like to start working on, but they involve microcontrollers, so i am open to ideas.

;)

THANKS FOR THE LINK POMMIE! :) It looks pretty good. I may just start there if i can't find anything else. ;)

Sorry for the double post...

What about something like this:
**broken link removed**

I haven't paid much attention to bill's kits, but what about one of those?

OMG I HATE THE 62 CHAR LIMIT!!

Why do they even have that in there? I just made a folder directly on the C drive, since it then goes:

C:\Project\38khz.c

short and sweet :p

Marks256 said:
Sorry for the double post...

What about something like this:
**broken link removed**

I haven't paid much attention to bill's kits, but what about one of those?

I would take one of Bill's over the mikroe ones, any day! Much better prices, and also, Bill is trying to help people learn, rather than protect his market. As well, mikro C seems to want you to use their libraries, which you have no access to. I think it would be best to try out some of the other 'free' tools, such as source boost, or CCS, or...

Yeah, i will have a look at Bill's kits. Then i need to get my homework done... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back