Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Yamaha Sound Bar Switch Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigertail75

Hi guys

We have a Yamaha YSP 600 sound bar (10 years old), its been serving us well and we love the sound. We leave the power on perpetually and one fine day, we had to rearrange some of the other equipment and had to turn off the switch. That's when the problem started, once we turned on the power again, the sound bar fail to power up. Instead there will be a click sound and the power is turned on momentarily before turning off again.

We understand a common problem could be due to a faulty capacitor (the famous C515). Besides the capacitor, what could be other issues? I called up Yamaha support and they no longer carry spare parts for this model.

Thanks

I've never heard of the 'famous C515', but I would VERY, VERY strongly suspect a high ESR capacitor in the power supply - which could very well be C515?. Makes no difference if Yamaha no longer keep parts, it's unlikely they ever kept simple parts like capacitors - there's no point keeping standard parts that are available everywhere.

I got my Sony sound bar for free, as it was dead - same issue, a duff capacitor in the PSU - just one, no other faulty ones. I've repaired a number of others of the same model with exactly the same fault. No idea what the circuit reference is, but I suppose that could be 'famous' as well?.

So replace C515, use a good quality capacitor (unlike the crap they fitted in the factory), I like to use Panasonic or Nichicon - and it will never fail again (it's just a cheap crap capacitor).

It 'might' be blindingly obvious to replace, with the top bulging or even leaking, otherwise you'll have to try and spot the component reference on the board.

YSP 600/HTY-760 sound projector??? C515 seems to vary by revision number.
Good find on the manual :D

However, bit of a shock that C515 isn't an electrolytic :D

Presumably it's value varies for 120V or 240V mains, hence the differences - but as it's listed as a very common fault, the obvious thing to do is simply change it and see what happens then. It appears to be a startup capacitor, but it's an unusual configuration and an unusual value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back