Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

y capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

27niloc

Is there replacements available for middle item in photo? Lighter coloured three terminal disc device in the middle. Is it a y capacitor? On the board it is named FL3 and same device behind FL4 The component markings mean nothing on google etc. Any pointers to replacements or testing gratefully accepted!

It is some sort of a fillter(FL3 notation), more likely made by MuRata. The 472M means the value of the capacitor(s); 47 and 2 zero's in Pico farad= 4700 PF & M is the 20 percent tolerance. What makes you thinkl it is defective?

I can not find this part at this time. I have used them. Attached is a filter catalog with the 'little brother' to the part you are looking at.

I think it is a capacitor and two beads. This makes a very nice low pass filter.

I have almost never seen one go bad. If so they go bad in a big way!

Their symbol is often drawn as two inductors and one capacitor.

the 3 legged component loks like a centre tapped capacitor used for mains power filtering.
The other two blue components look like Voltage dependent resistors used for surge suppression. Both bits are quite common on modern switch mode power supply designs. It is highly UNLIKELY that any of these bits are faulty. If they were then you would see lots of burnt black stuff.

Great info in the filter catalog. Thanks. The board has been round a few people but no one can resolve the issues with it. There are a few smaller filters on other parts of the board. I will change these out along with all the caps and see if it functions correctly.View attachment 66693

Most likely a bad solder joint. Bake the hole thing to reflow the joints.

Random errors on the lcd display integral to the board.

You are barking up the wrong tree.

EMI Suppression will not cause errors on the lcd display. EMI suppression limits junk being pushed back into the Main supply from a SMPS. Your fault lies elsewhere.

Where exactly, I don't know. And that doe's not really help you. Except rule EMI Suppression out of the equation.

Look elsewhere rather.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
I would agree too that the cap is not likely the problem. The original question as to what to replace it with: **broken link removed**

Use capacitor, 4700 pf, ceramic safety, ratings: X1Y1 to narrow search

I would agree too that the cap is not likely the problem. The original question as to what to replace it with: **broken link removed**

Use capacitor, 4700 pf, ceramic safety, ratings: X1Y1 to narrow search

Hi KISS

Why replace a part that is not faulty??

Let the OP learn not to waste his/her time when faultfinding.

Regards,
tvtech

Great info in the filter catalog. Thanks. The board has been round a few people but no one can resolve the issues with it. There are a few smaller filters on other parts of the board. I will change these out along with all the caps and see if it functions correctly.View attachment 66693

In looking closer at the magnified posted picture, it shows all the typical signs of liquid/fluid exposure(white markings around solder joints) Is that the case? If so, you may be fighting an uphill battle? Sometimes you may get lucky by doing a complete cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner but some are truly a lost cause.---it gets even woser with layered pcb's.
I am very familiar with that sort of a problem; if/when there is exposure to liquid, (depending on it's content) there may be all sorts of corrosion causing various symptoms that can send you after a wild goose chase.

At first I thought it might be a thermistor, but I then saw the grey transformer so centre tapped cap as allready mentioned looks a good assumption.
And as also said when they go there isnt much left, you could replace the item with 2 caps of the correct ratings however you might be better off looking elsewhere, the power supply is a reasaonable place to start.
What other devices connect up to this, are they working properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back