Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XXX is following you - What is that all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
I am not a user of assorted "social media", but in ETO there is a feature where you can "follow" someone.
What is that all about?

I have a number of followers, most of them are "one post wonders" who register here and are never seen again.

So what information do followers receive about the followee? (I just made up that word).

All in all it sounds rather creepy to me.

JimB

As far as I can tell it's just like the "friends" feature that was here before the switch to Xenforo. As far as I can tell there's no real use for it, I don't think it even tells you when the person you're "following" makes a post.

It certainly doesn't give them more information about you than anyone else has

Matt

Isn't it like watching a thread but watching a member instead? In doubt myself.

I follow those who are little near to me and help me always, but I do not get anyspecial benefit from the followee (word made by JimB) though :). Maybe the feature is inspired by Twitter. The forum has timeline/wall too where we can post our status, like a social media.

Isn't it like watching a thread but watching a member instead? In doubt myself.
That would make sense, but I don't believe that's the case.

Jim,

When you follow someone you can get an email (newsfeed) showing their posts. Look at your account, see who's following you and look at your newsfeed to see if you selected to get the updates from someone.

Jim,

When you follow someone you can get an email (newsfeed) showing their posts. Look at your account, see who's following you and look at your newsfeed to see if you selected to get the updates from someone.
Thats really creepy!! On the other hand................who shall i stalk?? Hmmmm, i will wait until I have my RFID reader:joyful:

I think I'm going to stalk Matt for a couple of days .... to see what this is all about ....

So far, the newsfeed populated with all the messages Matt done today.

It looks like a decent tool if a moderator doesn't want to track down some troll, or suspect troll.

And Matt ... no fluff. I don't want an email box filled with BS.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to stalk Matt for a couple of days .... to see what this is all about ....

So far, the newsfeed populated with all the messages Matt done today.

It looks like a decent tool if a moderator doesn't want to track down some troll, or suspect troll.

And Matt ... no fluff. I don't want an email box filled with BS.

Very interesting indeed. I was looking for such a tool a while back but the "Follow" feature didn't seem to work for me. I'll have to remember that for the future :)

Matt

Ok, I stopped stalking Matt.

when you follow someone the only thing it does is populate your newsfeed. There are no "extra emails" to concern your self with. So, I think the follow could be a tool to track a user. It appears in your preference that you can be notified (default) when someone follows you, so I assume Matt got the alert that I followed him.

I like it that I didn't get one email telling me what Matt was doing, but it all was in the NewsFeed in my account.

Ok, I stopped stalking Matt.

when you follow someone the only thing it does is populate your newsfeed. There are no "extra emails" to concern your self with. So, I think the follow could be a tool to track a user. It appears in your preference that you can be notified (default) when someone follows you, so I assume Matt got the alert that I followed him.

I like it that I didn't get one email telling me what Matt was doing, but it all was in the NewsFeed in my account.

Very interesting. Yes, I did get a notification that you were following me.

Inquisitive also "followed" me and I expect he will probably see the same thing you did.

Matt

I agree. Now I'm looking for a way to clear those entries from my newsfeed or I'll see if they fall off the fact of my computer naturally.

I am not a user of assorted "social media", but in ETO there is a feature where you can "follow" someone.
What is that all about?

I have a number of followers, most of them are "one post wonders" who register here and are never seen again.

So what information do followers receive about the followee? (I just made up that word).

All in all it sounds rather creepy to me.

JimB

In the realm of social media being followed or liked is the highest endorsement. Self esteem often hinges on how many are following you and/or liking your posts.

How do I know this you ask? I have a teenage daughter.

In the realm of social media being followed or liked is the highest endorsement.
Yes I realise that, and here on ETO we have the various like/dislike buttons at the bottom right hand corner of the posts.

I just find the concept of someone who has never interacted with me in any way (ie some newly registered user) following me very creepy indeed, verging on stalking.:eek:

JimB
(Trying not to appear completely paranoid:))

Yes I realise that, and here on ETO we have the various like/dislike buttons at the bottom right hand corner of the posts.

I just find the concept of someone who has never interacted with me in any way (ie some newly registered user) following me very creepy indeed, verging on stalking.:eek:

JimB
(Trying not to appear completely paranoid:))

Yes Jim, there is always the chance of an unknown maniac watching you but I understand this as a simple way for someone to follow what you post because you could be one of those knowledgeable regulars contributing positively.

In my case I decided to not use it because when I enter the forum I read carefully not just skim posts.

Same thing can be said for certain "adult themed" sites. Why is there a share button? Why would I want to share that to all my friends on FB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back