Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XR8038 to make function generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Hi Guys,

I am impressed to see such a wonderful forum dedicated to the facilitating world of electronics. Hats of to the host and you guys who give advice and share ideas/information. I would like to build a function generator using XR8038 chip. Can anyone send or tell me where I can find a circuit diagram for this please?

Your help will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Striker.

Hmmm... German company Exar is?

I found the datasheet for it here:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/10/xr8038.pdf

It looks pretty straight forward. Only a couple of external resistors are needed for adjustments.

Why don't you create a design using the datasheet as a reference and then post your schematic. We can help spot problems / improvements.

Try it!

It might just work first time (since the part does all the hard work of generating the waveforms!)

:wink:

Hi Optikon,

Thanks so much for the reply and link, it helped. I also did some research and found another link from a different manufacturer for the 8038 called the ICL8038 **broken link removed**
These guys have a few nice little circuit diagrams, one of which I am building.

Thanks so much again,

Striker.

Hi there,

I have used a schematic that I got from the following site:
**broken link removed**

It looks like it is working OK but I do get a lot of distortion and harmonics :( . I think this is from the transformer that delivers the 6-0-6 Volt power to the circuit. The transformer is also inside the metal case that I used.

Any suggestions to minimise the harmonics?

Try to find Exar appnote TAN005 (i have) it contains a complete scheme.Also recommend for consideration MAX038 d'sheet: it is enhanced version from Maxim-Dallas and working up to 20MHz! (the ICL and XR go very hard up to 1MHz.)

Thanks I will have a look at the appnote. But what I did find was that it was indeed a 50 hz harmonic plaging me. Would it be because the circuit was designed in another country and the caps used for leveling the AC voltage may not be correct for South Africa? Our power network must obviously be 50 Hz, otherwise where does this come from :?: I did turn the back of the metal box around to make sure that it does not directly come from the transformer.

But there was no improvement!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back