Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

xl4016 buck converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter g

hi, i just purchased a xl4016 buck converter and would like to know how to set the cv and cc modes. i want to use the converter to charge a car battery. thanks all,

Set the output voltage to 13.8V using a multimeter, before connecting it to the battery.

Try setting the current limit pot to about mid position?
With power off, turn it one way until it starts clicking, then count the turns the other way until it clicks again - then back again, half that number of turns.

A normal lead-acid battery can be left on float charge at 13.8V continuously. If it's going to be regularly run down and recharged (cyclic use), the voltage can safely be set to 14.8V, but it should not be left charging for more than a few hours once full.

Note that car "starter" type batteries cannot stand being run down significantly without degrading; they can be wrecked by just a few full discharges.

A "Deep cycle" type, aka a Leisure battery, can be run down and recharged many times, but cannot deliver the current to start a car.

i was thinking on setting cc at 5amps, how to do it, if o.k. idea..
Adjust it using a load that takes at least 5A at 12V, using such as a car headlamp bulb as a load.

With a 60W lamp, set the voltage to eg. 13 - 14V and use an ammeter to monitor the current to see when it reduces to 5A.

Or, set the voltage to exactly 12V, monitor it with a voltmeter and adjust the current limit to just above the point the voltage starts to drop. (A 12V 60W lamp should take 5A at 12V, or close to it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back