Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XBOX 360 Fan modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunchwinner

New to the forum, came here looking for advice on desoldering from the ground plane on an XBOX 360 motherboard.

There's a location for an additional 3-pin header near the front of the board but the outside pins are on the ground plane and I'm having a hard time removing the existing solder.

My usual sewing pin method worked brilliantly on the middle pin but has failed miserably on the other 2 -- I'm guessing my 25W pencil just isn't up to to the challenge?

Any advice?

I plan on investing in a pin vice to drill them out if all else fails.

Last edited:
I assume you are referring to this mod:
**broken link removed**

There are quite a few posts advising against drilling out the solder and I'll go along with those.

If you have a heat gun (and as a 360 owner/modder, you probably do ;-) ) you could try gently pre-heating the motherboard first, then use your 25W iron and some solder-wick.

Or you could take it to someone who has the correct equipment, to get the job done without risking damaging the board...

Actually, this is my first attempt at modding a 360 (I'm not a gamer in the least) but I'm looking to get into modding and repairs for some extra cash. A friend offered me this system to fix (red ring) and and keep so I figured I'd see what else I can do while I have it open.

I have never encountered a plane as stubborn as this one and was curious if any one had any tricks. Looks like I'll be buying a better iron. :)

Thanks.

how can i modify the fan header chip in my xbox 360 so after 20 seconds off been on the fans increase to top speed slowly weather or not they need to

ive fixed my Xbox a few times and its a waste of time. why do you want it on after 20 seconds? that dosnt make any sense. the chips get hot after 3-4 mins and very very hot after 2+ hours, i wouldnt add fan to motherboard and the traces are realy small and seems like some fans draw alot of current for such small traces, why not take power directly from the rail? if you want it to come on when chip heats up then add a temp sensor like LM35 or DS18B20 or even just a metal can transistor or a diode, read any of theese from a micro like a pic OR do what i do and have a second fan on full blast all the time?? but still dosnt stop it getting too hot, for that you need a special heat sink kit and a soldering station with SMD heat gun,

OR BUY a playstation :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back