Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xbox 360 charger is shorting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

yokazuma0

so my xbox 360 controller battery pack charger is shorting out where the pic is pointing. when it bends there it cuts out and the controller is disconnected. so my question is, since i know where its shorting out, should i xacto it open and place electrical tape around the shorted out part? and this would be caused by two wires touching right? thnx

**broken link removed**

well... super moderator, thank you lol. Who replaces things these days? PSHH
xacto it is, would i have to tape the break together or something more simple?

well... super moderator, thank you lol. Who replaces things these days? PSHH
xacto it is, would i have to tape the break together or something more simple?

Find which wire is broken, strip it back, twist the wires together and solder them - then insulate them with tape. If you ahcve heatshrink sleeving you can use that rather than tape (but remember to slide it over the cable before you join it together.

thanks alot, will the break be quite noticable? curious because if the sleeve is over it, how could i tell?

As Nigel points out, CAREFULLY slit the outer sheathing with a sharp blade, then examine the individual wires within. You'll likely notice a wire which has the outer insulation 'pinched' slightly at the point of breakage. Pulling this wire LIGHTLY will result in some slight stretching and further pinching.

As others have pointed out, the fault will be a broken wire. Consider that other wires may also be broken or very close to breaking. See if you can open up the "white connector" and reterminate the entire cable inside after cutting it shorter. I would shorten it past the RFI "bump" on the cable for reliability and move the "bump" further down the cable if at all possible. Look first. Cut later. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back