Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xbox 360 and other power surge electronic fatalities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Need4skis

hello there, just a warning i'm not a pro here, but i do have some electronic experience and i am learning. i have an Xbox 360 that has experienced a power surge, now when i plug it in it won't even turn on, but i am not sure if the actual Xbox is damaged, i have a suspicion it might just be the ac adapter. i think this because when i plug it in the LED on that doesn't blink or anything. has anyone had this happen to them or anything similar? i love my Xbox and the warranty is up so i would really love to fix it. thanks, -Alex, i also have a computer that went through the power surge along with a cd player, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is your psu lighting up at all, if so what color light is it displaying. There are a lot of failsafes in a 360 so you are probley fine, but if anything is damaged it is the psu.

no, the power supply isn't lighting up at all. thats what im saying, i think that might have protected the xbox 360 any ideas?

Well Microsoft isn't too stupied. I would have to imagine someone there thought of a surge, but see if a new power supply works. Just remember that there are multiple versions of the xbox 360 and they all use different power supply wattages. The possiblitlies are 203w, 175w, and 150w. They are all back compatiable, ex, 203w works on a 175w and 150w console. But the 150w supply only works on the 150w console. It says what console you have on the sticker above the power input on the console

Hope you get it working.
Mike

thank you, i really appreciate it, unfortunately i couldnt find where it said how many watts it took on the console, any place i should look on the brick?

Ok don't worry about it.

There are four revisions of the xbox 360. Not everyone knows that, but they tried to improve on it and eliminate RROD, but obviously failed. With each revision they made them more energy efficient. There are three differnt wattage power supplys avaliable: 203watts, 175watts, 150watts. Each console has a sticker on the back of it, right above the power input that says what wattage it is. You can use any power supply with a wattage greater than or equal to what is listed on the console. When I said that they are backward compatiable I meant that the 203watt is univeral. If you don't understand what I am saying, then just get a 203 watt power supply and hopefully that will solve your issue.

Good. Hope it works out well. If that doesn't solve your problem, you may want to open it up and see if there are any fried componets. it is easy to do, even with little electronics experiance. I have been fixing them for a while now, just don't get intimidated by it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back