Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xbee UART between PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

hi guys,
Back to business for me after learning heaps of optical circuits (but my programming still stinks :eek:)

I connected an Xbee to both my uCs, 877A as a transmitter and 4455 as a receiver. I powered my Xbees up using a 3.3V regulator, and the rest is pretty much direct I suppose.

I checked the output of the transmitter using an O-Scope and got a nice square wave, and the same square wave at the receiver end. So i suppose the program's the one making the problem.

It's all simple: The received data will be displayed at PORTD. So far I received nothing.

Here's the transmitter (PIC16f877A):

C:
void main() {

adcon1=0b00000111;  //pcfg settings: all digital I/O
 cmcon= 0b00000111;  //comparators off
 cvrcon=0;           //voltage comparators off
 txsta=0b00000100;   //8-bit, Async mode, Hi-Speed,
 intcon=0b11000000;  //enable all peripheral interrupts
 spbrg=129;           //9.6 kBps

trise=0x07;         //porte=input, pspmode_bit=0;
 trisa=0b100000;     //ra5=input
 trisd=0xff;         //rd4=input, rest output
 trisb=0;            //portb=output
 trisc=0b10111111;   //input for keypads and RX=input/TX=0utput

spen_bit=1;        // serial port enable
 portb=0;
 porta=0;

while (1){

txreg=0xAA;
        txen_bit=1;

}
}

The receiver is a PIC18F4455:
C:
void main() {

trisd=0;
latd=0;

spen_bit=1; //enable rx-tx
rx9_bit=0;  //8-bit
cren_bit=1;//enable receiver

sync_bit=0;        //asynchronous mode selected
brgh_bit=1;        //hi-speed
brg16_bit=0;       //16-bit not selected

trisc=0b10000000; // rc7=input
intcon=0b11000000; //enable all interrupts

spbrg=129;         //9.6 kbps

while (1){

rcreg=portd;

}
}

Appreciate the time spent on this. Thanks.

Vizier87.

okay, I've exchanged it. But it keeps getting "garbage" i.e PORTD keeps changing outputs, and even if I didn't turn the transmitter on, it retains it's state.

How do I improve the receiving quality?

How far apart are the modules...... with any kind of aerial, they should be at least a metre away...

I ALWAYS test on a PC first.. just to be sure they are talking ( and they are setup correctly) have you downloaded X-CTU, to check they are on the same PANID ?

err you mean we have to "setup" these things through PC first? I thought's they're just like other modules?

So.... basically I have to build the FTDI-wired-to-the-Xbee circuit first to configure it, is it?

Thanks dude...

Also, you mean we have to "setup" these things through PC first? I thought's they're just like other modules?

Basically I have to build the FTDI-wired-to-the-Xbee circuit first to configure it, is it?

Thanks Ian.

I bought one of these

Attachments

• xbee.PNG
    xbee.PNG
    478.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
All I know is that the X-CTU detects what software is on the module (there is quite a few versions) and lets you make a pair.. You set up the speed (baud) and then put them on the same PANID.. then you can tell them which module to talk to.... Download the manual and have a read. These things do a whole lot more.

Also check out XRF modules... They are plug and play, and you can set up networks... They are pin compatible to the xbee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back