Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

X2 Light out in the Public Domain at last

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Hello people.

Today is the 08 of September 2013.

I have been speaking for a while here about X2 Mains Caps being great for certain applications (besides their intended design for EMI Filtering). They do not provide a lot of power...but are very suited to certain applications where they are able to handle anything that Generators or Mains providers throw at them.

So, in 2009 I embarked on a project using X2 Caps as a source of power to give both light and also charge a little PP3 at the same time. Electronic robustness and reliability was No 1 priority.

All has been accomplished with the first unit sold today. My friend who has watched all the trials and tribulations of this whole design proudly took delivery today of the first little light. And payed me in full.

He knows exactly where and how he plans to use it.

Here is a a teaser photo below:

Specs as follows:

1. Casing ABS 2mm. Lens clear 3mm Polycarbonate.
2. Fast charge: 3 Hours with a completely flat battery.
3. Normal charge: 8 to 10 Hours with a completely flat battery.
4. Can handle anything that is thrown at it that an X2 can handle....been a tvtech for many years and have probably replaced not even a handfull of X2 Caps in that time and many Thousands of sets and blown SMPS though....
5. The head is replaceable. As and when Osram bring out something better/brighter..I can fit them. Every light comes with a spare head board.
6. Osram rate the little E3 @ around 7.5 to 8 Lumens now. Complete with a lifespan like this:

And no. The little X2 is not the " Normal charge" Cap. The switches do other stuff.

Baiting my breath for some chancer to find one of these and fly over to China and try to get them built cheaper....
To copy and make money....you will fail. This PCB has to be double sided to be reliable. It has to be built correctly. No shortcuts. And built properly...in a certain sequence...

No wires all over the show like copied stuff out there. Otherwise all ends in a pile of Poo.

Thanks for reading,
tvtech

Attachments

• IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 363
  • Lifetime-Derating-DURIS_2011-11-18.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
Since the site changeover to xenForo, I am battling with everything.

And as my luck would be it was EXACTLY the same Weekend that ETO decided to abandon v Bulletin......and exactly the same the same Weekend/time that I decided to share my little light with the World.

So, I am glad to see at least my light/PCB photo is back.
Timing has been the biggest problem in my life ever....always, always a problem.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back